Solved

interrail pass or not

• 22 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Full steam ahead
  • 36 replies

Travelling from Stroud UK to La Ciotat France in the last week of May 2024.

Day 1 

Fri 24th or Sat 25th May

Stroud to London

London to Paris

Paris to Marseille 

Marseille to La Ciotat

Same return journey.

As we’re not stopping at multiple locations other than to get connecting trains, do you think it would be cheaper to buy regular train tickets rather than an interrail pass (plus supplements for Eurostar and Paris to Marseille)? 

From my initial browse it looks equally costed as the Eurostar without interrail is expensive as is the Paris to Marseille leg. I’m drawn to the interrail pass as we used it for a longer trip this year and found it really easy to use.

We’ll only be away for between 7-9 days.

Our intention is to not fly.

Any advice recommended.

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 22 August 2023, 14:01

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

First, you’re very early to buy tickets. It’ll be possible for Eurostar, but not for the rest of the trains.

If you’re early to book, you can find rock bottom prices for Paris-La Ciotat. Currently prices for mid octobre are around +/- 30 EUR per person, per seat. So If you book in advance, you’ll definetly have a better bargain buying cheap advance tickets than buying an interrail + reservation cost.

SNCF trains are usually bookable +/- 4 months before departure. Please keep an eye on this website: https://www.sncf-connect.com/aide/l-ouverture-des-ventes

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you, I’ll keep an eye out!