Solved

Italy

• 7 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello. I’ve never used an interrail pass before and wondered if anyone could offer any advice. We’d like to go for a week/nine days at the end of May, travelling from the UK, hopefully ending somewhere in Italy, before taking a different route home. Is this an okay length of time for a trip of that sort? Does anyone have any recommendations regarding itinerary? All advice gratefully received!! 

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 7 February 2024, 11:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 1

You can find more information about planning train trips here, including helpful advice and route plans:

https://rail.cc/

Could you please provide more details regarding which city in the UK you intend to start your trip from? Additionally, could you mention a few cities in Italy that you are considering visiting?

Italy is a long and expansive country, stretching from London St. Pancras International to Roma Termini takes approximately 21-22 hours by train.

You have the option of traveling through France, Switzerland, and Italy, or you could opt for a route through Belgium or Holland, then through Germany, Switzerland, and Italy.

Badge

Thanks for your help. We were planning to leave London on May 25 for a week and don’t really have much of an idea after that! Just a vague plan to head to Italy - perhaps to a beachside area for a few days, then back a different route. I just wondered if anyone had done a similar sort of thing and could offer any tips. Thanks again!

Badge

Another option for us in May was to go to Valencia. However, all the routes to Valencia from London say ‘not in pass network.’ Is it ever possible to travel to Valencia on the interrail network? Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Another option for us in May was to go to Valencia. However, all the routes to Valencia from London say ‘not in pass network.’ Is it ever possible to travel to Valencia on the interrail network? Thank you!

It is possible to travel there, but Spain is often late with timetables. The timetables present in the route planner, teh schedule probably consist of some private operators train who already have their hours, but that are not included in the pass. All RENFE trains should be included.

Use a random date, closer by e.g. next week or plan stretches that are less long (London-Paris-Barcelona-Valencia).

Note that Spain and France are quite reservation heavy, which will hamper your flexibility for spontaneous decisions. You’ll need a seat reservation for most long distance trains.

Allthough there are a lot of workarounds in France.

Badge

Thank you - that’s very helpful, much appreciated

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'd recommend Italy over Spain, at least for flexibility. You also have multiple routes leading to Italy through southern France, Switzerland, Austria,…

If you wish to leave on Saturday 25th May please book your Eurostar reservations as soon as possible. There is a passholder quota and already mid-morning trains towards Paris have sold out. Remain early trains (6-7am) if you live near London or afternoon trains (1:30pm) if you live further away.

For travel on any other date you have more time to decide.

Now on the itinerary : I'd try to include the Bernina Railway between Switzerland and Italy (Chur - Tirano), it is simply stunning all year round. Great value with Interrail too! More here : https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/bernina-express.htm

For example:

- DAY 1: ... - London - Paris - Strasbourg

- DAY 2: Strasbourg - Basel - Chur - Tirano - Lake Como

For the way back either via Nice if you stay somewhere along the Mediterranean coast or the fastest route is via Geneva. Feel free to ask further questions.

Badge

Many thanks again - very useful information. I’ll get my plans firmed up and make reservations asap!