Solved

Medium size dog on Interrail journey. Which countries are best for traveling with a pet?

• 22 January 2022
  • 9 replies

We are a couple that are planning to do a trip around Europe with our puppy, even if he is a young puppy, he will not be able to travel as a "luggage" due to size.

Are there any countries we should avoid? Which countries are best for traveling with a pet?

We dont mind paying, we just want it to be as hassle free as possible.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 23 June 2022, 12:34

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This differs per country. I have never ever seen an overview re this-but I guess youre from UK and that is a rather pet-friendly country plus seems to me to have a big load of all types of societies and informationservices for that. I think thats probably the best source.

In MOST=not all countries you can take a small animal, provided it remains INSIDE a luggage-sized container for free. IF this is impossible, then very often the animal=dog needs to be muzzled, you must be able to show vaccination certificates and in some countries/trains it may be completely barred (Sweden f.e.-to protect people with certain types of allergy). These are (no need t ask?) the heritages/.remains of old-style laws re rabies and the like. As a very course rule: the further east/south you go in EURope, the more strict these rules will be. 

I am from Sweden, and pets are not barred on trains here, you just have to book a seat in the pets allowed area.

As you mentioned the further south you go the worse it is for pet owners. We have so far excluded Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, France and the whole south eastern parts of Europe.

Poland seems OK
Germany seems OK

Austria seems OK

Switzerland seems OK

Netherlands seems OK

Denmark seems OK

Slovenia, don’t know yet, We trying to find out.

Czech republic, don’t know yet. We trying to find out.

Why have you excluded those countries? I want to bring my pet bunny, but the countries you have excluded is exactly where I aim to go 😅🎀

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Belise Angelina Lovebliss 

The best is that you yourself check the rules regarding dogs on the websites of the national railway companies for the countries you want to visit. 

Why have you excluded those countries? I want to bring my pet bunny, but the countries you have excluded is exactly where I aim to go 😅🎀

A bunny? Not to be like that but it is a bit different with a small bunny and a 31 kg Thai ridgeback dog. I don’t think you need to think very much of the bunnys well being on the trip, because you can have the little guy in your lap, most likely no restrictions in every European country. Not the case with the dog.

Greece has horrible rules on trains for dogs over 10 kg, Italy not as horrible but still very bad for the dog. Spain does not even allow dogs on some trains. And France is just horrible in general to interrail through with fees on almost every train.

Oh.. thank you for sharing! Appreciate the reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Italy not as horrible but still very bad for the dog.

What is the rule that makes for the dog very bad in Italy? 

Trenitalia High Speed Trains has now in Summer Dog Tickets for free. You have not to pay. I don’t know if it is possible to get this together with an Interrail Reservation. 

I am from Sweden, and pets are not barred on trains here, you just have to book a seat in the pets allowed area.

As you mentioned the further south you go the worse it is for pet owners. We have so far excluded Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, France and the whole south eastern parts of Europe.

Poland seems OK
Germany seems OK

Austria seems OK

Switzerland seems OK

Netherlands seems OK

Denmark seems OK

Slovenia, don’t know yet, We trying to find out.

Czech republic, don’t know yet. We trying to find out.

In Czech Republic it is ok, if the dog I muzzled.
Here is more forwarders (train).
Dogs are prohibited in Student Agency (RegioJet) trains and buses.
ČD is ok, You pay 1-4 € depends on the length of journey, I guess.

We went on the trip last summer, Italy was OK, Slovenia was OK. ÖBB in Austria was horrible, they where extremely delayed and we had to go by bus through almost all of Austria from Slovenia.Germany OK.

The night train from Hamburg back to Sweden was horrible, no working AC, and late.

All together it was a good trip, but next time we will avoid crowded ÖBB trains with a horrible booking procedure for reservations. I think we avoid Austria all together and go around.

We will see, it was some extra work bringing the dog, but all things considered, the dog was the least of the problems, late and overcrowded trains was the problem.