Night Jet - Milan to Munich - Austrian border controls

• 21 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been trying to find availability on a night train,  I’ve clearly left it far too late as the closest I can get is either just a seat or a luxury cabin.  I was thrilled to come across lots of availability on the NightJet from Milan to Munich on 11th August and changed my plans accordingly.  I nearly finished booking the journey on the Night Jet website before having a look on Train Line and was gutted to see what looked like border controls in place between Austria and Slovenia just past salzburg .  From Trainline it looks like you get off the Nigh Jet at Salzburg and  get another domestic train to Freilassing, where you go through border controls, then get on another domestic train to Munich! Rather defeats the point of a sleeper train. Not mentioned on the Nighjet OBB website.   Has anyone experienced this journey with checks? Is my research right because I really want a sleeper and it’s not mentioned by OBB?

From a quick google it seems the border checks are in place until Nov 2022 https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/policies/schengen-borders-and-visa/schengen-area/temporary-reintroduction-border-control_en

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No-you should not use trainline. Use a better app/planner-it should be evident that the one of railway itself is always #1. 

There are indeed still border checks-on instigation of Bayern local govmt-already since 5-6 monthres, they say it is to keep track of the UKR refugees-this nighttrain also has portions from BUdapest.

The train-which is generally always late anyway next morning-stands a long time in Freilassing where the guards will pass by-takes 20-30 mins-and then train runs on, you just stay onboard. Any tight connection in München will be gone. It does-just as with planes-not matter if you have 1st/2nd/3d or superdeluce class-it hits anyone.

Also I just read there are currently big fires along some lines in IT and this means some portions of this NJ are not served-I do not yet exactly know if this also hits yours and/or how long this will take.

Thank you that’s helpful, as long as we don’t need to change, better get booking!