Solved

Pensioners ticket prices

• 14 October 2022
  • 8 replies

As a pensioner do Inter rail do discounts for booking in advance , I am coming from England as my first visit to Germany for 7 days

icon

Best answer by Al_G 14 October 2022, 23:19

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Discount rates on passes are given for over 60s

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For some trips IN DE=Grmany and only IF you have a BC=railcard DB offers sometimes lower prices for seniors->65. The cost or RES etc is never reduced by age.

In some countries there are indeed much lower local train fares for seniors-or its even free, making a pass not really worthwhile, but quite often this is limited to locals and only EU-citizens, so you loose out-blame brexiteers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As a pensioner in the UK myself, I simply buy my pass at discount price and conduct a lot of research on local offers. Some have senior citizen prices but generally they are available to all, such as the recent 9euro ticket in Germany. Even where we crinkles get free local travel I normally can't be bothered digging out proof of age and explaining to a driver who won't  or can't  speak English is a pain to save a euro or 2

If you are on a tight budget you may need to consider whether interrail is suitable - Flying can be a lot cheaper.

As a rough budget for first class travel and 3 to 4 star accommodation I would suggest £200 a day for 2 is realistic and any pensioner benefits would be insignificant but welcomed.

Thank you to all who replied to question, from what you are saying possibly as I will use Frankfurt as my base and utilise the train to Cologne / Stuttgart / Nurumberg/ Munichi it  might be cheaper to buy on the day an see what offers are on sale .

Looking forward to a “whirlwind break “ with careful planning

The time tables have not been published yet

The other question is do the xmas markets only operate on Sat & Sun

Bob Green

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I would suggest you actually get a pass. That would give you easy unlimited flexible day access to the ICE network. You have a guaranteed price to budget and you will not be totting up individual tickets. You can cover huge distances in a couple of hours on ICE trains.

OOI Nuremberg is well worth a visit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you only will be travelling in Germany, and not from/to the UK, there is the German Rail Pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I will use Frankfurt as my base and utilise the train to Cologne / Stuttgart / Nurumberg/ Munichi it  might be cheaper to buy on the day an see what offers are on sale .

I don't think that there are any last minute cheap offers. As an example, a ticket from Frankfurt to München tomorrow is about 90 EUR but if you buy a ticket for mid December now the price is about 40 EUR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you only will be travelling in Germany, and not from/to the UK, there is the German Rail Pass.

The difference in price between a 7 day German Rail Pass and a 7 day Global pass is less than 30 euro, which is easily saved by using a pass to get to St Pancras and Eurostar to Brussels then onto Germany