Solved

Reserve cycle spaces in England and Scotland

• 18 June 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi ! 

I’m planning a trip from France to Scotland with my bike. On the routes Dover-London and Edinburgh-Inverness, no seat reservations are required but i need to book one space for my bike. Is it possible to reserve a cycle space without reserving a seat? How? 

Thanks for your help. 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 18 June 2024, 14:42

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes you can. Have a look at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/on-the-train/train-travel-with-bicycles/cycle-policies/

So there’s no tool to book online a cycle space with the interrail pass… I will try to book it by phone then. 

There are a lot of train companies in the UK, it’s not so complicated in France 😄

Thanks for your answer! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So there’s no tool to book online a cycle space with the interrail pass… I will try to book it by phone then. 

There are a lot of train companies in the UK, it’s not so complicated in France 😄

Thanks for your answer! 

You can reserve seats and bike spaces for free where available and necessary, (see the above link for which companies/services need bike reservations) on www.gwr.com by creating an account.

I got it, thanks a lot ! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You can book your bike spaces easily on LNER website for the East Coast line (ie Edinburgh or further north down to Kings Cross).

I find it easiest to do it on the desktop version of the website. You can just book the bike, no need to book a seat at the same time-however I suggest that you do. Your bike will be booked into the bike cupboards (4 bikes per train) in coach K. So book your seats in the half of K that is standard class or in the half of K that is 1st class depending on the Interrail pass that you have. Coach K is the only split standard/1st class coach on the train. You will automatically be allocated a seat elsewhere on the train but can amend this easily during booking. 
This absolutely works-have done it lots of times including this week between Newcastle and Kings Cross.