Solved

Short distances

• 24 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Can I use the Global Pass from Paris to Auvers sur Oise? And from Strasbourg to Colmar?

And what about the train from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam Central Station?

Many thanks for your help!

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 24 January 2023, 19:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hmmm, Paris-Auvers-sur-Oise seems to be a Transilien train. Not a Parisien RER. But I'm not sure it's valid. Does someone has confirmation on this?

Strasbourg Colmar = yes (although the train network around Strasbourg is now also partly a RER, I think the pass only prohibits use on the Parisian RER, because it is more like a big metro system than a train. Could someone also confirm this?) 

Schiphol = Amsterdam = yes.

Note that interrail validity is seen as validity per operator, not routes. So you take every e.g. NS (Dutch railways), Trenitalia, Deutsche Bahn, NMBS/SNCB, PKP,... train you want. 95% of all trains in Europe can be done with Interrail, apart from some smaller private operators or touristic railways. 

Only France has the Parisian RER restrictions, technically trains, but see it as a metro that is not included in the pass. 

Note that if you have a flexible pass (x days of travel days during a month), and the short trips you make are the only of that day, it's usually more expensive to use a pass day. Normal tickets are usually not that expensive for short trips on regional trains.

If you have a continuous pass (valid for 15 consecutive days, 1-2-3 consecutive months), that doesn't really matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hmmm, Paris-Auvers-sur-Oise seems to be a Transilien train. Not a Parisien RER. But I'm not sure it's valid. Does someone has confirmation on this?

Strasbourg Colmar = yes (although the train network around Strasbourg is now also partly a RER, I think the pass only prohibits use on the Parisian RER, because it is more like a big metro system than a train. Could someone also confirm this?) 

AFAIK Paris RER is not included because the responsible transport authority (of the Île-de-France region) doesn't want to participate.

Other trains in France should be included, as long as they're operated by SNCF, so including the trains around Strasbourg, which, as far as I can see, still have the TER label.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The ban on RER/Transilien is-or was? only for those sectors that were owned by RATP/Paris. The sectors that once were simply SNCF-commuter, like Gd Lyon to Fontainebleau or Est-Meaux etc should be-or at least certainly were-valid on pass-get ticket to franchise gates from counter. I´ve done it several times that way. Bad luck if there is no counter. Or if the staff has not been properly instructed.

It is not so much what is written on the trains, but who owns the tracks that determines validity.

But now that in FR these regions get more and more authority, as we recently also saw the ban in 1 region to passes-probably some smart guy discovered how much more income they would have if these passholders would pay/ Not realising that the tipical passholder will then simply avoid it all to gether.

But a passday tipically also cost a lot more as a normal ticket for these short sectors in this question