Solved

Short train change

• 1 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello, I'm using interrail pass to reach Norway from Italy (Milan)

During the departure I have 2 short train change (17 mins and 12)

When I arrive in Basel SBB I have only 17 minutes to hop up to the train to Karlsruhe HBF. 

And when I arrive to Karlsruhe HBF I have only 12 minutes to reach Hamburg HBF and then 27 minutes to hop up to the night train tha I have reserved that will take me to Copenhagen. 

Do you think it is usually possible to change trains in such short time? 

What are you experiences about it? 

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 1 August 2023, 15:04

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Connections in Switzerland are generally trustworthy and okay.

Germany, is something else. A delay is quickly happened. For night train connections, I would foresee more buffer.

Somewhere halfway, or for important train connections (you’lld better not miss because there are few alternatives, like night trains or Eurostar) I always try to have a 2-h buffer at least.Plus, it’s nice to stretch your legs somewhere along such a long journey.

Which date are you taking trains, and which ones exactly? If you can leave earlier, you should.

Enter the train numbers (of German trains) of the trains you plan to take on this website: https://www.zugfinder.net/en/start and you’ll see the average delay of last month.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It's impossible to say whether a connection is "safe” without knowing where the first train originates from.

It's best to provide the complete timetable of your journey.