Solved

single day train travel.

• 7 December 2023
  • 11 replies

I want to take the train for one day only from Milan Italy to Munich Germany, and I would Mike benefit from the price of purchasing a pass. Any suggestions? Thanks 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 7 December 2023, 08:18

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How much is the cost of the single journey?

The cheapest Eurail pass is 4 days in 1 month, so it’s unlikely to be of use to you if you only want to make that one journey. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What's your travel date ? A pass will not be good value for this journey.

To get the best fares split this journey :

- Milan - Chiasso 6€ regional train ticket

- Chiasso - Zurich - Munich 50-80€ ticket on bahn.com

You won't find anything cheaper.

Since the Gotthard Base Tunnel is closed, all trains are diverted via the old line : very scenic but 1h longer. Journey example :

- RE Milano Centrale - Lugano 08:43 - 09:58 (in Chiasso change tickets but stay on the same train)

- IC2 Lugano - Zürich HB 10:02 - 12:55

- EC Zürich HB - München Hbf 13:33 - 17:04

Questions welcome !

May 21st. Thank you for your assistance , I appreciate it very much! Theresa

Hi, I just went onto Hahn.com and at checkout it wants me to choose a one country or global pass. How do I  avoid this? Thanks, Theresa

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Did you search Chiasso - Munich on the website ? Tickets are available for 49.90€ on 21st May so in theory you could buy it.

However I'd say that you are way too early to book anything, price won't change until closer to travel date anyway.

Bookings often open 3 months in advance, sometimes more : looks like May is already on sale in Switzerland and Germany but times could still change due to engineering works, etc. 

Italian timetables have not been published yet but they shouldn't change much from the one after 10th December. Check back in a few months for the Milan - Chiasso ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Did you search Chiasso - Munich on the website ? Tickets are available for 49.90€ on 21st May so in theory you could buy it.

However I'd say that you are way too early to book anything, price won't change until closer to travel date anyway.

DB prices can certainly change.

Bookings often open 3 months in advance, sometimes more : looks like May is already on sale in Switzerland and Germany but times could still change due to engineering works, etc. 

DB generally open sales 6 months in advance, including international journeys from/to certain neighbouring countries.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes sure but for example 9th January (also a Tuesday) costs 49.90€. I meant that they wouldn't increase for some time.

DB generally open sales 6 months in advance, including international journeys from/to certain neighbouring countries.

Ok good to know. Switzerland recently opened bookings more than 2 months in advance (although there's never a rush as opposed to France or Spain).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes sure but for example 9th January (also a Tuesday) costs 49.90€. I meant that they wouldn't increase for some time.​​​​​

The DB ticketing system is quite strange on some Routes :) For example here the train Zürich - Milano decide which price have to be paid. As the DB booking system have a general price for Switzerland :D means if for example somebody else book already on the EC Zürich - Munich the fare for Chiasso - Munich would be even raise. 

Off Topic it´s even possible to include the Bernina Route in to such saver fares. (but this would be either a very long day on trains or you need to sleep somewhere on the Route) Luckily International tickets are valid for 2 days. 

Had once a “Sparpreis” Berlin - (Prague) - Vienna - Salzburg (and stayed then overnight in St.Pölten) yeah the conductor on Day 2 was confused but everything was ok. As German “Sparpreis” tickets are within Austria not fixed to a certain train. 

Another hidden feature that works very well is Hamburg - Basel / Zürich - Graz :D 1st class for 69€ That way you can have 2 very nice journey´s in a Swiss Panoramic Carriage within 2 days. I usually select with a stop over in Basel (and Stay then in Lörrach as Switzerland is a bit to expensive for me) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for the tips !

Yeah I found Basel - Hamburg - Copenhagen (overnight) - Stockholm for 49€ through DB. I didn't buy it but I could have…

Yes I've also heard that Tirano - Freiburg or Tirano - Singen can be cheaper than Tirano - Chur full-fare...

DB indeed has some great deals as long as you book a few weeks in advance !

Thank you for all the information; however, I do not know what DB stands for. Please let me know! Thank you, Theresa

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you for all the information; however, I do not know what DB stands for. Please let me know! Thank you, Theresa

Deutsche Bahn, the German national rail operator https://www.bahn.de/