Skip to main content
Solved

Sleeper train Budapest to Krakow getting e ticket

I tried to book the sleeper train on Polrail from Budapest to Krakow but they are only giving me a mail or pick up in Poland option for the tickets.  I cannot do either.  I am looking to book a ticket in 2.5 weeks.  I am looking to book one double couchette and one triple for myself and my kids. I tried trainline and that didnt offer me the option of plugging in my Eurail pass for priceresuction; I tried OBB and that didn’t offer me the option of booking a couchette; and I tried MAV and that too didn’t offer me the option of booking a couchette.  HELP! 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Try through ČD (Czech Railways): https://www.cd.cz/en/default.htm

Add Eurail as a discount. It should work unless the site is under maintenance.

For example I get 1664 CZK (67€) for a private double sleeper -> very affordable compared to other services!

Hi!  Thank you so so much for your reply.  I just went and dont see an option for an adult with a discount card? Is it the option that says “IN 25” or “IN 50” in the scroll down for tickets?

Hello again!

OK! I figured out how to get the eurail pass option.  One more question before I book.

I put in the information for myself and 4 of my children.  I put the sleeper option and then see:  “3 berth”, “double” and “single” options.  It then gives me the option to check the box that we would like to be in the same compartment and it says: 3x female / 3-berth compartment
2x male / 3-berth compartment - giving me a total of 2900 CZK.

What’s the “double” option? The only difference I see with inputting “double” is that when I put that option in the price becomes 4160 czk.  Are you getting a better accomodation with the “double” option?  And will we be in two compartments on our own  - we are 5 - an odd number - so 3 + 2?

Im confused!

Can you please help me and explain how I can book two sleeper compartments for myself and my kids.  And ONLY us.  So one 3 person sleeper and one 2 person sleeper.  And is it possible to get them positioned next tp each other.

I SO appreciate your help!

Thank you thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

By choosing 2x male / 3 berth compartment they'd share with a third (male) stranger. Don't do that.

"Double" and "triple" compartments are the same, the main difference is whether the third berth is folded or not. You pay extra to leave the third berth empty basically.

You should choose one "triple" and one "double" compartment to have full privacy.

4160 CZK seems a reasonable price. I'll make some screenshots and update the post.

If possible the system should assign compartments next to each other (we'll see with the screenshots). As far as I know some even have a connecting door (but I've never seen it open...).

I truly appreciate your help! I don’t want to book the wrong train arrangement and be stuck at 10:40pm with my 4 kids in a Budapest train station!

Is this correct? Because it’s only giving me the option to put one entry of “double”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What happens if you click on Procure for 4160 CZK? On the following page it should give you berth numbers and we’ll be able to check if you’re good to go.

Otherwise you might have to do 2 bookings. One for a triple compartment and then one for a double. There’s a single sleeper compartment anyway.

I’m trying on my side but I keep having server issues...

Yes! I too kept getting internal service error 103 when I tried to procure and I called and actually was able to speak to a representative and he told me that something was wrong with the Polish server side of things and that I couldn’t reserve! He directed me to the PKP website which I have been struggling with as that is an even more confusing website! He suggested I could buy a ticket at the station but I don’t want to take the chance that the train will be sold out as I must get on that train!  Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Right, the Polish booking system is terrible. Honestly I’d try again later today. There’s nothing else to do. Perhaps booking by phone would work better? idk

If really nothing works: when are you getting to Europe? This night train should be available at German, Austrian, Swiss ticket counters.

Alright! I have tried again and again with th ePKO website and that is telling me there are no promotional offers and wont let me book! I should be at a european train station by Tuesday and the train I must take from Budapest to Krakow is exactly one week later….

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’ve just tried using the “double” option for 5 people but on another route (Budapest - Prague). Result: it gave me 2 double compartments and the 5th person is separated. Not what you want.

The way to go (when the route to Poland works...) would be to add a triple compartment to the basket, click on continue shopping and add the double compartment then (or the other way round). Hopefully that works.

One week in advance should be fine but there’s a little risk so let’s try to avoid that!