Skip to main content
Solved

Spiez to Milan direct train cannot be found

Hi I have been looking for the direct train from Spiez to Milan for late July date. Was looking at train availability for a few weeks and noticed direct trains (2h38min) are only available up to Jun 8 and it seems that no direct trains are added after that date despite daily checking. Any change such that there’s no more direct trains ? 

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Major Engineering works from the 9th of June until the 8th of September on the Simplon route.

Use www.sbb.ch/en to have a look at the alternatives routes and replacement busses.

Badge

Oh I see, thank you so much. On SBB, I see either replacement bus or to do multiple trains through few changes going through to Arona before going to Milan. Which route is usually recommended - For higher reliability and maybe the convenience factor considering luggages and transfers? Is the train route scenic too (to see if it’s worthwhile doing a longer train journey vs bus). And for multiple trains, I need to book separately on SBB and Trenitalia? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Domodossola - Arona is the bit closed. The alternative routes without buses would be:

- Domodossola - Locarno (scenic but tiny packed trains, reservation possible) - Milan

- Domodossola - Novara (infrequent) - Milan

I guess I'd choose the bus. I'm taking the route next weekend so I could give you a feedback!

Reservations are not possible/necessary until Domodossola. They are required for the replacement buses: 3€ at Swiss/Italian ticket counters. Otherwise you get a 13€ ticket online.

Badge

Sure thank you, your feedback will be helpful! I’m actually coming from interlaken so I thought going from spiez into Milan is the most direct. Given the closures, if there are any better alternatives to travel from interlaken to Milan, any feedback is welcome. It’s the first time I’m travelling this region, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could avoid the works entirely:

- Interlaken - Lucerne

- Lucerne - Lugano

- hourly RE Lugano - Milan

Somewhat longer but fully by train and fully reservation-free.

Badge

Oh I would have come from luzern earlier to interlaken. So didn’t consider this route n wanted to do the fastest to Milan. My accom are all booked so I gota see if it is do able. Otherwise will wait for feedback on the bus. Which site do we reserve a seat for bus though?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Which site do we reserve a seat for bus though?

None. As @thibcabe wrote, pass reservations for this bus can only be done at the ticket office. I'd do it at the first ticket office in Switzerland or Italy I'd get to.

Badge

Ok thank you. 

Badge

Hi @thibcabe may I know how did the bus service go? How much time is required to transfer from train to bus and is there space for luggage storage? Looking at a train that arrives 15 min before 930am bus not sure if that is enough buffer or in case trains r late, I should buy the 1230 bus instead ? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The buses are run specifically to connect with the trains, in the event of a delay they will be held. Domodosola is not a big place, the majority on these trains will be connecting to the buses for Milan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @thibcabe may I know how did the bus service go? How much time is required to transfer from train to bus and is there space for luggage storage? Looking at a train that arrives 15 min before 930am bus not sure if that is enough buffer or in case trains r late, I should buy the 1230 bus instead ? Thanks.

The train from Switzerland came with 30 min delay (technical difficulty with the carriage). The bus absolutely waited and dozens of people made the change, don't worry.

There is a lot of buffer so even with waiting 20 min or so the bus will arrive on time in Milan.

About my Milan - Domodossola bus: pretty full on a Friday evening but everyone had a seat. There are 2 comfortable coaches. Traffic was heavy and the highway was closed for 30 min due to a car fire. Even with all that, we made it 5 min early in Domodossola! :)

(I was taking going back towards Switzerland. We left Domodossola with 8 min delay but the 4 min connection in Brig was still held. This usually doesn't happen though.)

Badge

I see, thanks for sharing your experience! In this case I think it would be ok for me to get the 930 bus tickets. Hope the train from Switzerland will arrive in Domodossola on time. It is good that your bus waited even though the train was late by 30 min! Good to hear both ur bus/train connections turn out well :)

Badge

Oh yes the buses can carry luggages right? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes don't worry. There are luggage holds under or behind the bus.

Badge

Ok thanks everyone!