Question

Train strike Italy 19/05/2024

Hi there,

we want(ed) to go from Brennero to Roma on Sunday, 19/05/2024. Now Trenitalia will go in strike that day. We have a One-Country-Pass, but many trains are not included in this pass.

Will it be possible to take these not included trains, if the included trains won’t run? And what about our (really expensive) seat reservatoins? We are travelling with a child. Unfortunately, it would be rather difficult to postpone the trip.

Thanks for your help and have a nice evening

Anja

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

.italo trains are indeed not included. However some Trenitalia trains are still running, same for the EC83 towards Bologna. Looking at OBB website and https://www.trenitalia.com/it/informazioni/treni_garantiti_incasodisciopero.html you could do:

• EC Brenner - Bologna Centrale 12:14 - 16:19
  • Frecciarossa Bologna Centrale - Roma Termini 17:02 - 19:25

For which trains do you have a reservation? You should get refunded.

(Thinking about it: are the EC Brenner included in the One-Country pass? Mmmmmm)

(Feel free to correct me @Angelo)

Thanks for the quick response! 

The EC is indeed not included, but the 17:02 from Bologna would fit. We've got a reservation for

Bolzano  13:15 to Rome

But how can we change our Seat reservation now to the train from Bologna? Is this possible at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I also see this but I'm not sure if that's accurate though... I can't find a source. Could someone confirm please? @Angelo @rvdborgt (sorry for tagging)

About your reservation: get new ones through Rail Europe or elsewhere (13€ pp + 2€ for seat selection). Then contact the place where you booked the current ones, they should refund you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It's the first time I see this. I'd be surprised if this train is not included. The Interrail website says it's included without any exceptions. You'll need the supplement though.

Edit: network guide in the app says it's excluded for the Italian one country pass. It seems strange though to me. If there's no other train, then you'll have to take this one. Any extra expenses should be refunded by Interrail.

As to the reservation: either ask to rebook (free of charge) or book a new one and request a full refund.

Thank you so much for your help! I have booked a new seat reservation for the Frecciorossa now and got part of the other reservation back. 

We will try to take either the train Brenner - Bologna or Brenner- Venezia. Both are not included and the supplement is not bookable, but we will try it directly in the train. Hopefully they won't throw us out... ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you so much for your help! I have booked a new seat reservation for the Frecciorossa now and got part of the other reservation back.

You are entitled to a full refund if your train doesn't run. A reservation exchange should in fact be free of charge. Request the not refunded part from the place where you booked it.

We will try to take either the train Brenner - Bologna or Brenner- Venezia. Both are not included and the supplement is not bookable, but we will try it directly in the train. Hopefully they won't throw us out... ;-)

Supplement can be booked online on tickets.oebb.at (with discount "Interrail/Eurail” and then select "One-way tickets”, NOT "Seat reservation only”) and from the train staff.

And again: thank you so much!!! :-) The trick was not to select seat reservation but single ticket. Now we have got reservations for trains that should run according to the list.

Have a nice evening and best wishes

Anja

Hi there,

I have booked my tickets via Trainline from Rome to Pompei for 19th May 11am on FR9515. How do I know if the train is cancelled due to strike? 

Thank you. 

Best regards, 

Julia

I have a question too: we're currently in Lecco where all services are Trenord.

We need to get to Milan and ultimately MXP on Sunday.

What I'd like to know is whether realistically there will be any trains out of Lecco at all. We can accept long delays, but if it's likely to be total, then we should book a very expensive car transfer ASAP.

There are no guaranteed trains this time because it's Sunday.

Advice extremely welcome.

Update: this strike is apparently cancelled by injunction from the government, relating to the F1 weekend.

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/italy-transport-minister-halts-sunday-train-strike.html

I feel like "don't count your chickens until they're hatched" may apply, but tentatively good news.

Update: this strike is apparently cancelled by injunction from the government, relating to the F1 weekend.

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/italy-transport-minister-halts-sunday-train-strike.html

I feel like "don't count your chickens until they're hatched" may apply, but tentatively good news.

Thank you so much for the information! 

Dear all,

I have similar case

could someone please help me..

I just received an email about my trip from Rome to Munich

“In Italy, a strike is planned on 31.05.2024, 00:00 - 23:59. Train cancellations and delays are to be expected in the passenger train traffic during this period. As soon as we have any further information, we will pass it on to you. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.”

So my booked ticket is for 27/05/2024= Roma termini - Bolzano Bozen → Bolzano Bozen - Munchen Hbf

After I received the email, I can see 2 trips on the website with exact same departure and arrival

1. Roma termini - Bolzano Bozen → Bolzano bozen - Brennero → Brennero - Innsbruck → Innsbruck - Kufstein Bahnhof → Kufstein bahnhof - Munchen Ost → Munchen Ost - Munchen Hbf
  2. Roma termini - Verona Porta Nuova → Verona Porta Nuova - Munchen Hbf (this trip has exactly the same train code)

My question is, do I need to book a new ticket for the exact same train code but at a different station to transfer, or can I just use my booked ticket? Because option number 1 is not comfortable to change multiple times.

Thank you very much