Solved

Trains from Copenhagen Airport to Gothenburg, Sweden

• 16 September 2023
  • 7 replies

My family and I are taking our very first International Trip to Denmark and Sweden this year. We arrive on December 21 and need to go straight to Gothenburg, Sweden for our reservation at Liseberg Hotel. Where do we go for the train once we land in Copenhagen Airport? How far in advance can we book? 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 16 September 2023, 01:43

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The train station is within the airport, you'll find it easily. :)

There are hourly direct trains to Göteborg/Gothenburg run by Öresundståg. Tickets are available in advance but you can also wait until the day itself.

The big 2024 timetable change (European-wide) happens on 10th December, schedules after that date are not yet definite. They'll appear at some point in October.

Thank you! 

I was hoping to get a Eurail pass for 2 to 3 days, because we are heading to Copenhagen Denmark on December 26th. Would the eurail pass cover the train from the airport to Gothenburg? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The train from Copenhagen Airport to Gothemburg is covered by Eurail but if you book well in advance ordinary tickets are probably cheaper. What age are the children?

The train from Copenhagen Airport to Gothemburg is covered by Eurail but if you book well in advance ordinary tickets are probably cheaper. What age are the children?

Hello, 

The ages are: 14, 13, 12, and 9

Hello, 

The ages are: 14, 13, 12, and 9

I will look for tickets as soon as the schedule is available. So far, there's no schedule. We leave to Gothenburg on the 21st from Copenhagen Airport and leave from Gothenburg to Copenhagen, Denmark on the 26th, where we will stay in Naerum, Denmark till the 8th of January. Then we fly home to Chicago on the 8th. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The 9 year old will travel free on your Eurail pass. The other children would need a Youth pass.

But bear in mind that Copenhagen Airport to Goteborg is a maximum of about $50 each way (adult fare), less if you book in advance. The journey back to Copenhagen will be a similar price.

Do you have any other rail journeys planned? If not, you almost certainly will find it cheaper just to buy tickets, rather than a rail pass.

You can buy your tickets on https://www.sj.se/en/

The Seat61 website has some helpful tips on using the website here, along with alternatives. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Sweden with SJ, also from Copenhagen with SJ, children under 16 only pay the booking fee of 5-10 SEK on IC day trains and 15% of the normal ticket price on high speed trains so normal tickets should definitely be cheaper as 3 of your 4 children would need a youth Eurail pass.