Skip to main content

Hello, 

I’m looking for some advice. My family and I are interrailing for the first time this month. One part of our trip takes us from Levanto to Tirano (to link up with the Bernina Express) on August 23rd. The journey takes a surprisingly long time for the distance (over 8hrs) and one leg (between Colico and Tirano) is by bus. I just wondered if we were missing something, and if perhaps there is an easier and better way to go about this part of our trip, or anyone knew why we have to travel part of the way by bus..? Any and all advice gratefully received! 

Many thanks!

Tim 

It's quite a slow journey yes but it doesn't take 8 hours. For example:

- IC Levanto - Milano Centrale 07:00 - 10:00 3€

- RE Milano Centrale - Colico 10:20 - 11:46

- Bus Colico - Tirano 11:54 - 13:30

There are engineering works on that bit of line until mid-September so that's why trains are replaced by buses. There are no easier routes.

Don't book expensive reservations on the Bernina Express. The panorama carriages are crowded, loud,... -> not a pleasant experience. Instead board the reservation-free carriages at the front or any regional train.

I'll add that the punctuality on IC trains towards Milan is quite bad at the moment (speed restrictions). The 20 min change is not 100% guaranteed so even better to be flexible afterwards. :)