Travel insurance

• 8 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

What sort of travel insurance would anyone recommend for 1 month travel round Europe. I’ll be going to 7/8 different countries. Is there any that’s best for interrailing (going to multiple different countries), I’d like it to cover Covid + anything to do with unexpected cancellations. I’m aware that it wouldn’t cover any cancellation of the interrail ticket on my part. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is highly dependent on where youre from (UK says profile) and what is already covered. DO and I repeat DO take an utmost serious look in what your nat health will-or more likely will not- cover in foreign countries-on the continent. You cannot reasonably expect that amateurs know all the 1000s of ins+outs for every country. 

I travel more often and most people here have in such a case a permanent year round cover-which is less as 50€/yr. The basic elements are usually -lost luggage - HELP in emergency situations (yes, I´ve worked for several years organising that-this is in fact the main element) and -if needed- medical cost above the cover we all must have here. And for motorists=the main group, all what can happen to cars etc. Insurance is against mishaps and not against sudden changes in plans or ´I do not like it here´. For most continentals it is in fact also a bit quaint british that they so often dont seem to know anything about this. Most insur. here differ between all_EUR or all-world. Now that covid is a rather new thing and has not yet found its place in most of such long-standing plans.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

This is highly dependent on where youre from (UK says profile) and what is already covered.

Yes, definitely.

From what I recall reading (and you will need to double check because it’s been a year or two since I heard this information), the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in the UK has been replaced by a “GHIC” card, with the G standing for “Global”.

This name is supposed to make people feel they’re getting an elusive ‘Brexit dividend’, but - hilariously - the coverage is the same as an EHIC apart from that it bizarrely excludes the non-EU European countries that an EHIC covers. So you’d need to take out health insurance if you were going to Switzerland or Norway IIRC.

And there are no extra included countries on a GHIC which would not also be included on an EHIC; European or otherwise...🙄