Skip to main content

Dear All. 

*Urgent*
I am trying to book Zurich to Chur and Chur to Tirano on June 5. I have the Eurail global pass. However, when i am ready and willing to pay for the seat reservation, I cant book it online as a error message says part of the journey could not be booked. 

My plan is to enjoy the scenic route down to Italy Tirano and then travel to Milan from Tirano. 

I dont know why i could see St Moritz inside my trip which i booked to take the 1.34pm train at Chur to Tirano. 

Is there a alternate way or website to book this seat? Pls help to reply to my query as I am comfortable with a printed ticket and i am leaving my home in 2 hours. 

Worse case I have to pay for reservation and travel in the seat reservation Zurich to Milan trip which is not scenic. Im arranging a day hotel stay in Zurich just to travel on the scenic Bernina Express. 

Else i would have gone straight to Milan from Munich and travel elsewhere. :( 

Any form of guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Zurich - Chur: seat reservations not necessary (probably not even possible). Nobody makes them within Switzerland.

Chur - Tirano: available here for 36 CHF→ https://shop.rhb.ch/en/bernina-express. The panorama carriages are always full and loud. For a better experience I recommend the regular reservation-free carriages at the front → less busy, pull-down windows = better experience! :)

The direct train avoids St. Moritz (dead end) and runs straight from Samedan to Pontresina (have a look at a map).

You will get a nicer experience if you avoid the panoramic coaches and either travel in the reservation free coaches on the Berninaexpresse, or even better, use the regional trains on the same route. 

Both those options will give you better opportunity to see the nice views and make great photos.