Solved

Lyon to Barcelona reservation

• 22 June 2024
  • 5 replies

As part of my trip this summer I am travelling from Geneva to Barcelona. The section from Lyon to Barcelona says seat reservations required (which I have booked for other parts of the trip) and that it is from 10euros. But when I am trying to book it seems to say that it can only be done at the local station? Does anyone know anything about this? I am nervous about not having a seat reservation for this part of the journey.

Grateful for any advice or knowlege?

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 22 June 2024, 21:53

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This train is annoying. You can look through the forum for the dozens of threads about it.

Basically reservations are only available at Spanish ticket counters* or on the day on the platform by speaking to staff.

Availability is usually fine: staff allows you to stand at the bar while they look for free seats. Arrive in Lyon at around 1:30pm and go straight to the Barcelona train coming at the same time.

On a summer weekend I would consider that plan B: buy TGV reservations in advance and cancel them if you manage to get reservations for the direct train (fully cancellable until 30 min after departure).

- TGV Lyon Part-Dieu - Valence TGV 14:10 - 14:45 (unfortunately no later departure...)

- TGV Valence TGV - Barcelona-Sants 16:57 - 21:27

*a friend living there could buy them for you.

Hi thanks for this. It is really frustrating!

So could anyone living in France or Spain buy the seat reservations in advance? 

Many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

At Spanish ticket counters yes. They'll need your name, date of birth and ID/passport number (and perhaps pass number).

But not in France, even though the train starts in France? So confusing!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes not in France. RENFE (Spanish state operator) and SNCF (French equivalent) don't cooperate anymore.

SNCF has ticket counters in France while RENFE in Spain.

Now if only RENFE could make that train available on the Interrail/Eurail websites...