Solved

2 people on same eurail ticket with separate ID ?

• 9 September 2022
  • 12 replies

We activated phone eurail app using my ID but it doesn’t show my wife who is on the same ticket ?   So she activated app on her phone with her ID and created trip reservations but it doesn’t show me.  We purchased eurail ticket together, which shows both of us on the purchase receipt with separate ID.

We cannot reach anyone with eurail to explain this…

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Angelo 9 September 2022, 06:58

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

2 people 2 IDs.

It is not 1 PASS for 2 People, but 2 passes.

Thank you for your help. 

Do you know if app prevents people entering same last name from using dame device?  Example:  Our last name is the same.  After I activated pass then I entered same last name for my wife and got error message.  We couldn't find a way to enter her name.  You must enter name before entering ID.  

Trying to understand why we couldn't both use 1 device 🤔 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you bought 2 passes you should have 2 pass numbers. When you connect the pass to the app you need to enter the mobile pass number. The pass numbers are in your confirmation email and in the order overview in your Eurail account. 

When you bought the passes you had to enter the name and date of birth of the person that should use the pass.

Thank you everyone for your time and assistance. 

I think we have app setup correctly with both people on same device/ app.  Apparently, my wife didn't actually activate her pass on her device.  She only entered information and created journey/ trip but didn't complete the activation.  So I activated her pass on my phone app and removed her pass from her device.  I think it stated "deactivate" pass to activate on different device because it hadn't been activated or maybe because start date was several days out.  Don't know why...

Not sure why we got error messages before when trying to enter 2nd person, unless app needed to update before accepting another pass?

We are traveling together so hopefully this will make train scheduling and reservations easier.  

PS:

Still a little confused why paper pass allows train reservations 6 days in advance but mobile only 3 hrs.  What is to prevent all seats from  being reserved prior to the 3 hr. window? 

What prevents train offices from implementing reservation requirements on current non reservation schedule hrs. prior to our arrival?   

Is it possible to pre plan a 2 wk. trip that requires reservations using mobile pass?

Thank you,

Jon

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Still a little confused why paper pass allows train reservations 6 days in advance but mobile only 3 hrs.  What is to prevent all seats from  being reserved prior to the 3 hr. window? 

What prevents train offices from implementing reservation requirements on current non reservation schedule hrs. prior to our arrival?   

Is it possible to pre plan a 2 wk. trip that requires reservations using mobile pass?

Thank you,

Jon

I don’t know where you are getting the idea there is a 3 hour limit on reservations from but it is not correct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t know where you are getting the idea there is a 3 hour limit on reservations from but it is not correct.

There is no difference in making reservations for a paper pass or a mobile pass. Except sometimes you have to generate a pass cover number when you have a mobile pass.

As to time limits: With Eurail, you can only book trains up to 3 jours before departure. Not sure why but it is like that. Elsewhere, you can book until 15 or 5 minutes before departure (if seats are available, of course).

The 6 days limit is not for paper passes. You probably mean paper reservations. Eurail issues some reservations on paper, although they are often available electronically elsewhere (see this topic for alternative reservation methods). In that case, they need to be sent via the post, which takes time, hence the 6 days. But I'd advise against ordering paper reservations this way. Not only does that incur extra costs, there are just too many complaints about paper reservations that never arrive or arrive too late.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

To support previous post we have an upcoming journey and reservations have been in place for weeks.

I assume you have joined both trips together on your mobile.

Thank you,

Jon

I remembered reading it,  there seems to be much confusion.  

You can also make a reservation online via Eurail.com and their Eurail Rail Planner app, however, there are a few considerations:

• E-ticket reservations can be booked up to 3 hours before the train’s departure. 
  • Paper ticket reservations have to be booked at least 6 days before the train’s departure. 

Thank you, 

Jon

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Thank you very much AnnaB for taking the time to help us.  You saved us 1 travel day and we only had 1 to spare.    We set the start date, 4 days in the future to test and was able to deactivate back to the 2nd step of 3 for activation.  Researching the other info. / link you provided.  Traveling from US to Italy this weekend. Let the journey begin... Thanks, Jon

2 people 2 IDs.

It is not 1 PASS for 2 People, but 2 passes.

Great!  Thank you for clearing that up for us Angelo.  First timers using Eurail pass.  

To support previous post we have an upcoming journey and reservations have been in place for weeks.

I assume you have joined both trips together on your mobile.

Yes, we now have both mobile pass ID on same device and ready to create trips/ journey.  

I read we are suppose to create journey by the day because the QR code is created for 1 day use vs 3,4,5.  We haven’t done this yet so don’t know if app will still allow mistakes. 

Thank you Yorkie for your help,

Jon