Solved

Choosing pass

• 3 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

My mother and father are travelling in Europe and their nationality is Iranian. I want to purchase a pass for them but I need some help.

They are currently in Paris.

They want to travel to Hamburg, Germany tomorrow the 4th of August then they will be staying in Hamburg for few days.

After Hamburg want to visit Rome and then go back to Paris, since their flight back to Iran is from Paris on the 22nd of August.

Would you please let me choose the right pass for them? 

Thank you, 

Kosar

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 4 August 2023, 15:42

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

They'll probably need a 4-day Eurail Global Pass. Keep in mind that some seat reservations are mandatory and that trains can sell out.

It should still be possible to get to Hamburg but options will be somewhat limited.

I'll update here what is possible.

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 07:20 - 09:06 10€*

- RB Strasbourg - Offenburg 09:50 - 10:22

- ICE Offenburg - Hamburg Hbf 11:27 - 17:36 3€ (optional but recommended) on ÖBB

*Use that website to save booking fees : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

Same for Strasbourg - CDG Airport (see later).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hamburg - Rome : go via Switzerland (Basel). It is a very long jourmey so I'd recommend a night somewhere in the middle. Use a good planner such as bahn.com or DB Navigator app.

Book Milano - Rome on tickets.oebb.at (no fees) : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

Rome - Paris : I'd suggest going via Switzerland again to avoid booking fees + you can also directly arrive to CDG Airport from Strasbourg. I assume that they'll sleep near the airport that night. A good option on 21st August :

- FR Roma Termini - Milano Centrale 06:50 - 10:00 13€ ÖBB

- RE Milano Centrale - Lugano 10:43 - 11:58

- EC Lugano - Basel SBB 12:02 - 14:56

- TER Basel SBB - Strasbourg 15:21 - 16:39

- TGV Strasbourg - CDG Airport 17:01 - 19:05 10€

Definitely book everything ASAP when required. It is peak season.

Do not hesitate for questions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Dear @Kosar Hashemzadeh 

Thank you very much for contacting our community. 

Unfortunately, we are forbidden from selling Passes to 5 countries due to EU-imposed sanctions on these countries: 
1. Cuba 
2. Iran 
3. Sudan 
4. Syria 
5. North- Korea 

If your parents possess a different passport, please advice them to use it to buy our Pass. 

Have a nice day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Camilo. Interesting! Not sure if I got it right: Iranian people with residence permit in the EU (but holder of Iranian passport) are eligible or not to buy an Interrail pass? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Camilo. Interesting! Not sure if I got it right: Iranian people with residence permit in the EU (but holder of Iranian passport) are eligible or not to buy an Interrail pass? 

Dear @MartinM 

If they have an official residence permit from an European country, they can indeed purchase an Interrail Pass. They should put their country of residence within Europe when purchasing the Pass. 

Have a nice weekend!