Solved

Eurail

• 11 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi. I have purchased a 10-day global pass for an interrail in Europe and I have created an itinerary that starts on 5 August and ends on the 16th. I wanted to share it here in the community to ask if with the trains I have planned I fall within the 10-day pass period (I don't quite understand what is meant by 10 days of travel in 2 months) and to ask if it would be possible to end the trip without returning by train but by plane from a destination of arrival.
Thank you, a greeting from Italy

- Departure 5 August: Rome - Ljubljana 12.33 - 22.10. Seat reservation cost 15 euros.
- Arrival in Ljubljana on 5 evening and night 5/6 in town. Day of the 6th in town and departure by night train to Vienna: departure at 00.30 (6/7 August) and arrival at 6.05 on the 7th.
- Day of the 7th in Vienna, plus night in town. Day of the 8th in Bratislava: train from Vienna on the 8th at 8.17 and return on the evening of the 8th at 22.37.
- Night of the 8th/9th in Vienna. Day 9 in Salzburg: train in the morning at 7.15 (9.38) and return in the evening at 21.07 (23.32).
- Night of 9/10 in Vienna, day 10 in Vienna and departure for Munich on the 10th at 18.45 (23.16).
- Night of 10/11 in Munich. Day 11 in Munich and night 11/12 in Munich.
- Departure for Nuremberg on the 12th by train at 6.14-7.25 am. Day in Nuremberg and departure for Berlin the same day at 21.01-23.43.
- Night 12/13 in Berlin. Day 13 in Dresden. Night 13/14 in Berlin. Day 14 in Berlin and departure for Copenhagen by night train at 9.24 pm and arrival in the city at 6.55 am on day 15.
- Day 15 in Copenhagen, a night in the city and departure for Stockholm on the 16th at 6.21 p.m. and arrival in Stockholm at 11.39 p.m. Night 16 in Stockholm.
- Day 17 in Stockholm, night in town and return to Italy from Stockholm on 18 August at 7.05 am and arrival in Italy at 10.15 am

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 11 July 2023, 11:18

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So you'll be able to take as many trains as you'd like on 10 days of your choice within a period of 2 months. No need to decide in advance which day you'll use the pass.

Some advice :

Night trains are very popular and most summer dates are sold out. You'll have to review your itinerary a bit.

Frecciarossa is best booked on ÖBB (no booking fee) : add Interrail as a discount and select one-way tickets = 13€.

There is no night train from Ljubljana to Vienna. Which one did you see ? There is an option with a connection at 3am in Salzburg (not recommended). Alternative : EC 16:05 - 22:02 or morning trains via Graz or Villach on 7th morning.

Making a day trip to Salzburg seems unecessary to me as you'll stop there on your way to Munich anyway.

The 2 night trains between Berlin and Copenhagen are sold out. Alternative :

- ICE Berlin Hbf - Hamburg Hbf 20:38 - 22:22*

- IC Hamburg Hbf - Copenhagen 23:56 - 06:55 mandatory reservation, best bought on cd.cz : 73 CZK (3.10€). Seats only

For the train between Copenhagen and Stockholm, use sj.se.

How are you going back to Italy ? A flight ?

* do not leave later as German trains are often delayed, especially in the evening.

Thank you for your answer. How can you see that there is no longer any availability on the chosen trains? In any case, we bought a return flight from Stockholm to Rome

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

(Edited my above post).

I look at the website of the operator : sj.se or snalltaget.se for the 2 night trains to Copenhagen (they go all the way to Stockholm). I also know that those night trains are incredibly popular…

Do not hesitate for further questions. 

Book the train between Hamburg and Copenhagen well in advance. Beware that it has only seats and the carriage will certainly be fully lit throughout the night.

Thank you very much for your help. I'll try to make a reservation soon. One last question: can I also book trains from the app? And if I activate the pass today with the date of 5 August then can I change the activation date in case I manage to leave earlier?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No you can't book from the app. Either on interrail.eu but you'll pay 2€ booking fee per person per train + sometimes trains are more expensive there, for example Hamburg - Copenhagen. Have a look here :

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

It's best not to activate the pass in advance. There's no need to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

One last question: can I also book trains from the app?

No you can't. The app can only forward to some of the websites where you can book.

And if I activate the pass today with the date of 5 August then can I change the activation date in case I manage to leave earlier?

There's no advantage in activating the pass in advance. It is not needed to book reservations.

Ok. What about trains that do not require compulsory reservation? How do you advise me to do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ok. What about trains that do not require compulsory reservation? How do you advise me to do this?

If they are not compulsory then all you need is to add the correct train journey to your app before you board and activate it.

If they offer reservations then it’s your choice to get them, the link above explains how on various railways.