Solved

European resident with U.S. passport

• 9 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi, 

I’m trying to get some help with my Interrail pass. I’ve been a European resident for over 15 years and therefore bought an interrail pass to travel in Europe. It seems that the interrail app doesn’t recognize my U.S. passport or my Dutch residence permit numbers. How can I travel with my pass in Europe? Customer service is not helping me with this matter saying I can exchange my pass for Eurorail. I’m not a resident of the U.S. and don’t think this is the solution to my problem. I’m feeling very frustrated and maybe I spent money on a ticket that I cannot use. My travel is coming up very soon and I would like to resolve the situation. There is no customer service number for me to call. 

What do I do? 

Thanks,

Mariah

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 9 January 2023, 11:41

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

AFAIK a Dutch resident permit is not an ID, in any case not outside the Netherlands.

But you should be able to input any passport number so this raises the question: are you sure you are in step 3 of the activation process and not in step 1? See:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/interrail-mobile-pass/getting-started

If you are indeed in step 3, then please post a screenshot of any error you see.

Further, it is not advised to activate your pass in advance. It does not have any advantages, only possible disadvantages. If something unexpected happens on your planned start date, then it will be to late to postpone the activation, because you can only cancel activation until 23:59 CET before validity starts. The same is true for activating travel days.

You can of course test whether the activation works, but after that please deactivate the pass again until shortly before you board your first train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt Unfortunately the video doesn't work anymore. I have reported it to the Eurail staff but it is still not fixed.

@Jody Can you please make sure that the instruction video for the mobile pass starts working ASAP? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Mariah_Bl 

On this screen you need to enter the Interrail pass number from your confirmation email.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@AnnaB @rvdborgt i reported the issue to the content team :)

Thanks everyone for your help! I got it figured out now.