Solved

Generating several qr codes for 1 travel day

• 7 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello

So on Monday I am starting my trip below. We are stopping in Milano for a few hours before going to Firenze. So i had to enter the trip as 2 journeys

When I activated my pass, i tapped on the first journey from Mulhouse to milano centrale and that generate one qr code in my pass

My question is when I arrive at Milano right before boarding the train frol Firenze, can I tap on the  qr button then, and will it then generate another qr code valid for this one travel day, or will it counts for another travel day? 

If I can generate several qr code for 1 travel days, one for each journey added, is it better to break down a journey proposed by the rail planner into several sub journey  in case something happend in between the sub journey and I would need to change the itinerary?

Thanks a bunch! 

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 7 August 2022, 16:58

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do recommend you to delete the travel day and deactivate your pass today. There could happen something unexpected that prevents you from travelling tomorrow. Please read more about that below. 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Thanks for the reply!

Should I instead enter it manually? Like this

But then it won't show corresponding train

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Until you activate your pass you prepare for all your travels in Your Trip. You have one Trip to cover all your trains during the period of your pass.

Once you activate your pass ( as above it is advised not to do this until your first travel day, but can be done at any time. This automatically creates your first travel day.

Once activated you then transfer your first journey from your trip to your now active pass, again not until you are soon to board your train.

You now have your QR code, which covers you for all trains you take on that travel day as long as you have added them to your trip and transferred to your pass.  (If your plans change you simply add new journeys to your trip and transfer them to your pass. 

Each new day you transfer a train from your trip to the now active pass it creates a QR code for that day, that again covers for all trains listed in your pass for that day.

Until you activate your pass you prepare for all your travels in Your Trip. You have one Trip to cover all your trains during the period of your pass.

Once you activate your pass ( as above it is advised not to do this until your first travel day, but can be done at any time. This automatically creates your first travel day.

Once activated you then transfer your first journey from your trip to your now active pass, again not until you are soon to board your train.

You now have your QR code, which covers you for all trains you take on that travel day as long as you have added them to your trip and transferred to your pass.  (If your plans change you simply add new journeys to your trip and transfer them to your pass. 

Each new day you transfer a train from your trip to the now active pass it creates a QR code for that day, that again covers for all trains listed in your pass for that day.

Thanks for the reply! But i'm so sorry I still am not sure I got it.

So as ONE qr code covers all the trains I am to take that day, if I transfer my second journey of the same day, so to say the Milano-Firenze trip, to my already generated qr code due to the previous journey from Mulhouse to Milano, will it be taken into account in that ONE qr code I already generate by activating the pass and transferring the first journey of my travel day? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That sounds fine. One QR code is generated for the whole travel day, irrespective of how many journeys you make. As I said just make sure each separate journey is listed in the pass to go with the QR code.

Just be sure that if the train requires a reservation you also have that available for inspection onboard.