Last travel day on 4 days/1 month flex pass for OBB NIGHTJET

• 30 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Hello Eurail Community,

I am wondering, if i have Eurail 4 days in a month flex pass, say that:

Purchase date --- 5 jan 2023

Activation date --- 15 mar 2023

First travel date --- 16 mar 2023

Second travel date --- 19 mar 2023 (some trains and including NIGHTJET)

Third travel date --- 21 mar 2023

Fourth travel date --- 25 mar 2023 (some trains and including NIGHTJET)

Last vailidity date ---- ?

my questions are:

1. Are the arrangements above valid?
  2. Since I want to hop on a nightjet train on my last travel day, is this actually permitted? Because my pass is still valid until 14 apr 2023? Or If i want to do this I need to take the 5 days in a month flex pass (my pass will expire after 25 mar 2023 at 23.59 CET)?

Please kindly help to clarify.

Thank you,

Teguh

icon

Best answer by Angelo 2 January 2023, 09:42

View original

8 replies

Hello Eurail Community,

I am wondering, if i have Eurail 4 days in a month flex pass, say that:

Purchase date --- 5 jan 2023

Activation date --- 15 mar 2023

First travel date --- 16 mar 2023

Second travel date --- 19 mar 2023 (some trains and including NIGHTJET)

Third travel date --- 21 mar 2023

Fourth travel date --- 25 mar 2023 (some trains and including NIGHTJET)

Last vailidity date ---- ?

my questions are:

1. Are the arrangements above valid?
  2. Since I want to hop on a nightjet train on my last travel day, is this actually permitted? Because my pass is still valid until 14 apr 2023? Or If i want to do this I need to take the 5 days in a month flex pass (my pass will expire after 25 mar 2023 at 23.59 CET)?

Please kindly help to clarify.

Thank you,

Teguh

[1] Yes, they are (but there’s no need to activate a day earlier (but it’s allowed)).

[2] Yes, this is permitted. 

Kind regards, Hektor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please deactivate your pass and then activate it just before boarding your first train. Don't activate the pass or any travel day until you are 110% sure that you will travel that day. Please read more below. 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process you choose the start day of the validity of the pass. Once the validity has started it can't be changed even if you haven't travelled. The advice is therefore to wait with activating the pass and starting the validity until the first day of your travel as you only can deactivate the pass no later than 23.59 CET on the day before the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you can't deactivate the pass and change the validity. 

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

ONLY-sajah, mas, activate pass when you DO use it that day, as satu. Otherwise that first day will also be counted as travelday-thats a big waste!

Yes, yah, for overniht trips it is enough to only activate travelday of departure-but then you canNOT make any connections next day.

Selamat jalan, yah!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ONLY-sajah, mas, activate pass when you DO use it that day, as satu. Otherwise that first day will also be counted as travelday-thats a big waste!

That has changed recently. When you now activate a flexipass, a travel day is not activated automatically anymore.

Thanks all for the replies here, I appreciate them very much.

For my second question, it is still not answered clearly, though. If I travel on my last flex travel days on a night train, can I do this?

In short, it would not been a month after first travel day on this last travel day, but it will be my last travel day on a night train, so the next day will the pass be invalid already (because it is last travel day) and I will get trouble? Or it is ok. Screenshot above makes me doubtful on this one, see the last sentence there (validity period is 1 month after activation/first travel day right?).

Thanks very much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For a pass where the validity is one month the last day of the validity is the next month on the date before the validity started. If the validity starts on the 5th of May, then the last day of the validity is the 4th of June.

In my example above you can board a night train on the 3rd of June, but not on the 4th of June. The arrival date of the night train has to be the 4th of June at the latest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This screenshot is written a bit incomprehensible. 

You can’t use a nighttrain after midnight on the last day of validity of the pass. You pass has one month validity. But only on 4 days you can use in your case a train. 

So in your case travelling on the last travel day on a nighttrain after midnight is valid (except if you travel 14th april, in this case not). 

Dear AnnaB and Angelo,

Alright, then I can incur from your replies that if I activate on 16 Mar 2023, I will have no problem using my last travel day on night train on 25 Mar 2023, since it is far before one month validity period expires.

So that screenshot at Eurail page should be made clearer, maybe it is written for continuous 1 month or 2 month pass. Last travel day = Last valid day.

Crystal clear now. Thanks a lot and be well all!

Regards,
Teguh