passport ID changed

Hi guys, 

I won an interrail ticked from die EU! When I won it I signed up with my passport ID of course. However I had to get a new passport due to the fact that it lost its validity. Well, I still have my old passport with this old passport ID (but of course its not valid any longer). Do you guys think that everything will be fine if I just bring my old passport as well just to be sure that I can prove that the interrail pass is actually mine?

Thank you for your help in advance 

Marie :)

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As far as I know, you'll get a mobile pass and you only have to enter your ID number when you activate the mobile pass.

Thank you so much :)

Hey I have the same problem, but i want to reserve my train now (its for aug 14) and i’m going to have my passeport only 10 days before my trip, so do I need to activate my pass before reserving a train or can i reserve my train right now and give my new passeport ID 10 days before the train (aug 14)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

No problem, you don't need to activate your pass, or even have purchased the pass, to make your reservations. 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and ticket in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Hello thanks! But if I want to reserve on another platform, i need my passeport number. Since i don’t have my passeport I can’t reserve the train. If I try with eurail to reserve my train, it asks for my eurail pass number. Does that pass need to be activated to work for the reservation? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thats nonsense-unless you confuse with pass (the ticket itself, not votre piece d´identite) cover nr=not on mobile passes, but it seems it is since today possible to handle this also online via your account.

The most likely one to ask for cover nr is b-rail-you can also call them (then they do not ask for it)-but the call may be quite costly-or call SNCF. I guess its for €* again? first check if there are actual seats available via the site of b-rail. ITs very, very busy this summer and the nr of trains is also down to maintenance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello thanks! But if I want to reserve on another platform, i need my passeport number.

Where is that? Do you have a screenshot? I'm not aware of any website that needs your passport number to book a reservation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Renfe do not sell reservations for interrail passes on their website.

If you book a ticket from them you are paying the full fare so it has nothing to do with an interrail pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Marie Hanold @Laurie-anne Bédard 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and ticket in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

ok so if i’m travelling in spain with my eurail pass and can’t use renfe, what site can I use (for spain) then?

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ok so if i’m travelling in spain with my eurail pass and can’t use renfe, what site can I use (for spain) then?

Pass reservations for domestic trains in Spain cannot be booked online anymore, after Spanish railways shut down the interface that Eurail used to book those reservations. They're not the most customer-friendly railway company and that is an understatement.

The overview that AnnaB posted contains this post with the known ways to book these reservations.