Solved

(Please Help!) Need guidance to use Eurail/Interrail.

• 11 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi guys, 

I already purchase the 4 days interrail global pass and ready to go to our trip this week. But I have some questions:

1. I plan to use three day pass to go for my 1st trip (13 - 19 August ) and plan to use the remaining 1 day pass to travel to Sweden on 27 August. Is it possible? What should I do on the app to make sure that wont lose the remaining one?
  2. I plan to take a direct train that will depart around 5 am arrive on 00.01 the next day. It is counted as 1 day or 2 days? Is it better for me to take the train that arrive earlier?
  3. Can we use all trains/metro in Amsterdam and Paris? Or only train that we can find the route on rail planner apps? 
  4. Last, what are your tips/advices for a smooth travel with family on current condition?

Thanks very much for your kind reply! 

Best regards,

Ana

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 11 August 2022, 11:09

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi guys, 

I already purchase the 4 days interrail global pass and ready to go to our trip this week. But I have some questions:

1. I plan to use three day pass to go for my 1st trip (13 - 19 August ) and plan to use the remaining 1 day pass to travel to Sweden on 27 August. Is it possible? What should I do on the app to make sure that wont lose the remaining one? You don't have to do anything to not loose your travel day as long as you follow the advice from the experienced travellers that I will include below. But remember that you only can travel on a maximum of two travel day in your country of residence. 
  2. I plan to take a direct train that will depart around 5 am arrive on 00.01 the next day. It is counted as 1 day or 2 days? Is it better for me to take the train that arrive earlier? Each day (23.59-00.00 CE(S)T) when you board a train is a travel day. If you board a train at 05.00 that arrives at 00.01 the following day, that will be 1 travel day. What route is that train on?
  3. Can we use all trains/metro in Amsterdam and Paris? Or only train that we can find the route on rail planner apps? The metro is not included anywhere. Here's a list of the trains includedhttps://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies
  4. Last, what are your tips/advices for a smooth travel with family on current condition? Depending on where you will travel, make sure to make the necessary reservations well in advance. The reservations for Sweden, if you want to travel by high speed train or IC train, you should make now if you haven't already made them.

Thanks very much for your kind reply! 

Best regards,

Ana

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass allowing you to create the QR code (your ticket), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Alles was du hier fragst steht ja ganz klar inm allgemeinen Teil. Ausserdem hätte mann auch noch alles auf papier bei DB kaufen können und dort sofort sogleich alle die Fragen/Beratung und RES wenn nötig machen können.

1.du hast 2 (ZWEI) tage die du IM Heimland nutzen kannst.

Will mann 3: dann muss mann zukaufen-und bestimmt haste gehört vom 9€ das mann auch nutzen könnte-wenn auch nu in Nahverk.

3.NUR im echten zug-nicht im Stadtwerke/Tram/metro/bus usw.

Die direktzüge ab HH nach K/obenhavn sind im sommer alle mit RES und schon recht voll/ausgebucht-also entweder buchen oder umdenken und umplanen-mit lokale Zuege