Solved

Question about manually added journeys to and within Italy on Eurail Global Pass (Flexi pass)

Hi. I’m new to travel throughout Europe and am a little confused about a couple of the tickets I bought. I got a Eurail Global Pass (7-day Flexi Pass) before booking any journeys. After buying the pass, I booked the trips I need to take, also on the Eurail website. Most of the journeys seem pretty straightforward except for the ones to and within Italy.

One journey is from Zurich to Naples. The first leg goes from Zurich Main Station to Milano Centrale on a EuroCity train. I have the printed ticket for that, and I was able to load that one into My Trip on the app under my pass just fine. The second leg goes from Milano Porta Garibaldi to Napoli Centrale on an InterCityNotte train. I have the printed ticket for that too, but was not able to find it in the search on the app and had to add it manually.

Likewise, I booked a train for a few days later that travels from Naples to Rome. I have the printed ticket for that as well, but it also does not show in the search on the Rail Planner app. I added that one manually as well.

I just want to make sure there isn’t some other thing I need to do to be able to get on those trains that I had to add manually because they didn’t show up in the search on the app. Will my Eurail Global Pass still get me on those trains with those printed tickets?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 8 July 2022, 09:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes.

Trips/records and the REServ-if needed at all-are independent from each other and hence will not show up in app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you have an IPhone, don't add jouneys manually. There is, or at least recently was, a bug that made journeys dissappear if journey was added manually to an IPhone. 

If you have an IPhone you can get advice here to handle that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and ticket in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If trains are missing in the app, first check for app updates. There was one just yesterday. You don't need to add your trains in the app yet, that is only necessary before boarding. If your train is still missing at that time, you can still add it manually. But normally that should not be needed.

If trains are missing in the app, first check for app updates. There was one just yesterday. You don't need to add your trains in the app yet, that is only necessary before boarding. If your train is still missing at that time, you can still add it manually. But normally that should not be needed.

Thank you @rvdborgt. Updating the app was exactly what I needed.