Solved

Train not showing up but need reservations

• 4 May 2023
  • 8 replies

We are trying to travel from Bern to Milan tomorrow on Friday, May 5. There is a direct train leaving Bern at 11:34 am and arriving in Milan at 2:45 pm. It is Eurocity train EC53. The train shows up on timetables everywhere except the Eurail timetables (the whole route does not seem to show up in Eurail). I believe the train requires seat reservations. I can’t seem to find how to make seat reservations anywhere without first purchasing a ticket and the other sites don’t have options to enter  Eurail pass information. I don’t want to buy another ticket as Eurocity train are included in the Eurail pass. I can add the train manually to my pass but can’t figure out how to get seat reservations. Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 4 May 2023, 11:01

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Use tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : 2 x 11€. Add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

There are often better ways to book seat reservations than eurail.com, tickets.oebb.at is one of them. Eurail adds 2€ booking fee per person per train + it's sometimes more expensive than from the railway companies themselves.

General advice :

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

Yeah Rail Planner is unreliable, add the train manually if it doesn't show up until tomorrow

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I can see the train in the Railplanner app. Make sure that you have the latest version of the app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Actually the train disappeared when I made an update of the app. In Version 30.4.0 the train is there and in version 30.5.0 the train leaving Bern at 11.34 for Milano is gone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo. @Mukhammad Can you check why all direct EC trains from Bern to Milan are missing in the latest update, 30.5.0, of the app?

There should be one train 11.34 and another 13.34

Use tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : 2 x 11€. Add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

There are often better ways to book seat reservations than eurail.com, tickets.oebb.at is one of them. Eurail adds 2€ booking fee per person per train + it's sometimes more expensive than from the railway companies themselves.

General advice :

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

Yeah Rail Planner is unreliable, add the train manually if it doesn't show up until tomorrow

This is very helpful, thank you. We’ve been traveling for a few months and would have loved to know this haha.

One question, I followed your link and got to the checkout process, then the website refreshed and now no seat reservations are available for this train for as far as I can find. Any idea why that might be happening?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is only 1 seat left it seems (per Trenitalia seating map). Your options are :

- exact same train 2 hours later (more seats)

- Bern - Domodossola 11:34 - 13:12 as planned. Reservation-free. Sit in the second unit that goes as far as Domodossola. Then choice of 2 (reservation-free) regional trains to Milan :

- Domodossola - Milano Porta Garibaldi 13:58 - 16:14

- Domodossola - Milano Centrale 14:51 - 16:35

Domodossola is a nice enough town for a short stop, having a coffee or lunch :)

Let me know

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Camilo. @Mukhammad Can you check why all direct EC trains from Bern to Milan are missing in the latest update, 30.5.0, of the app?

There should be one train 11.34 and another 13.34

Hi @AnnaB,

I agree there seems an issue with it. I'm going to report about it today.

Thank you for letting us know!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi everyone,

I just received a report for the general EC trains from Switzerland to Italy (especially from Bern to Milano). The EC trains data is provided to Merits by Trenitalia, not by SBB. Therefore it cannot be properly integrated and as a result is not published yet.

If you look up direct trains on SBB website, there is a clear note that timetable may still change.

In this case, we can only wait until SBB sends their part of data to Merits.

For the recent workaround, we'd advise customers to consult the timetable on carrier's website and add the journey in the App manually. Please always double check at the train station for last minute changes.

Have a nice day!