Solved

With the Eurail global pass, do we need to buy tickets/reservations on the various trains or can we simply show our Eurail pass and board any train?

• 19 June 2022
  • 5 replies

My group of 6 people are traveling from Germany to Switzerland to Italy late September and early October this year. If we buy the Eurail global pass do we need to buy tickets/reservations on the various trains or can we simply show our Eurail pass and board any train during the time period we purchased the passes for? This is all new to us, and we appreciate the help!

icon

Best answer by Angelo 20 June 2022, 00:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

it depends from train to train. 

Trains in Europe | Train Services in Europe | Eurail.com

Most high speed trains need an Reservation except the German ICE (except when it runs in France). 

Pass user unfriendly countries are Spain and France. In Spain almost all trains need a reservation, and it is not possible to buy it before online. Only in Spain, and some trains also at ticket desks of DB in Germany. 

Italy and Sweden need for long distance trains a reservation. 

Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Czech Republic are the best one to travel. Almost all trains do not need reservations or at long distance trains it is only optional. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The vast majority of trains in Germany and Switzerland do not have mandatory reservations. In Germany however, for long distance trains, it may be wise to book reservations for such a group, so you can sit together.

In Italy, reservations are necessary in long distance trains. Whether you'll use them, depends on your travel plans.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Seat-only REServ for DE-advisable, as such US groups seem to frighten to death if they are unable to sit together for maybe half an hour, can be done online =via bahn.com-seat only, BUT I think only for a max of 4 or 5. Check yourself. It does not need to be done years ahead-can also do whilst in DE for days ahead at counter.

I believe you will need to purchase reservations if required on Italian trains only.

Pass only covers class selection! Reservation is another animal!!