Solved

Bernina Express reservation fee

Hello! I’m trying  to make a reservation for the Bernina Express, but in the Eurail webpage (Benefits in Switzerland) it says that the reservation costs are 14CHF in summer and 10CHF in winter and when trying to buy the tickets directly at the RhB webpage and adding the Eurail Pass in “Reduction” while adding to cart, the reservation cost is 24 CHF… Does anyone know which is the mistake or how I can get the 10/14 CHF cost? I´m travelling in april. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by EdM 4 March 2022, 07:38

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It looks like the Eurail website is wrong. Rhätische Bahn quote 5 CHF in March and 24 CHF in April (and presumably all summer). Maybe they changed it.

But unless you really want to sit in a panorama coach, you can just use one of the hourly trains without any reservation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Yes, I’m afraid they did; there’s been a very substantial price hike this year (it’s 26 Fr. in the summer months). They seem to be trying to bring Bernina Express reservation fees more in line with those of the Glacier Express :-(

Don’t forget, if you’re happy with the non-panoramic option, that the Bernina Express carriages are hauled by a standard train without required reservations, so you can still do the whole Tirano-Chur route without changes twice per day in each direction.

There’s also something worth knowing only if you are travelling with a 1st Class pass. Most people using the Bernina route arrive at or depart from Zurich, so if you can’t stomach the reservation fees for the panorama coaches between Chur and Tirano, the (1st Class) ones on some IC trains between Zurich and Chur can be a good consolation prize. There are several trains with a panorama coach per day on this route, and to see which ones you can run a query at sbb.ch and look for the icon signifying this, which looks like a pyramid with a filled-in top half. No reservations are required for this coach, but if you would like one they can be made for a very reasonable €3 at oebb.at.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes, I’m afraid they did; there’s been a very substantial price hike this year (it’s 26 Fr. in the summer months). They seem to be trying to bring Bernina Express reservation fees more in line with those of the Glacier Express :-(

Don’t forget, if you’re happy with the non-panoramic option, that the Bernina Express carriages are hauled by a standard train without required reservations, so you can still do the whole Tirano-Chur route without changes twice per day in each direction.

There’s also something worth knowing only if you are travelling with a 1st Class pass. Most people using the Bernina route arrive at or depart from Zurich, so if you can’t stomach the reservation fees for the panorama coaches between Chur and Tirano, the (1st Class) ones on some IC trains between Zurich and Chur can be a good consolation prize. There are several trains with a panorama coach per day on this route, and to see which ones you can run a query at sbb.ch and look for the icon signifying this, which looks like a pyramid with a filled-in top half. No reservations are required for this coach, but if you would like one they can be made for a very reasonable €3 at oebb.at.

And you can open the windows in the standard train at the front :) 

Best sides to sit down is from Tirano-->Chur  the lefthand side and from Chur → Tirano the right hand side :) 

I just took today the eary Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano in the “Standard carriages” still nice and you can make better pictures due the openable windows 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

If I may just use this topic for my question...

August 31 I want to do the Tirano - Chur connection to enjoy the mountain landscapes. I'm coming from Milan Central, so I'm going to travel to Tirano from Milan Central first, then do Tirano - Chur the same day.

To avoid the surcharge of 25 euros per person for the Bernina express, I want to travel in the wagons that pull the Bernina express.
Can you reserve a seat for this train?

We travel with a 1st class interrail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Sven 

The Bernina Express is a special train which needs seat reservation. To avoid the seat reservation fee you need to travel with the regional trains on the same route.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Sven

The Bernina Express is a special train which needs seat reservation. To avoid the seat reservation fee you need to travel with the regional trains on the same route.

My message clearly states that I want to travel in the carriages pulling the Bernina express!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is information on the different scenic trains in Switzerland, incl the Bernina Express. There is information on how to travel on the routes without reservation.

I am unsure whether the prices are updated for 2022 or not.

https://www.swissactivities.com/en-ch/panoramic-trains-in-switzerland/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Sven

My message clearly states that I want to travel in the carriages pulling the Bernina express!

Then you need to pay for the reservation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Sven

Then you need to pay for the reservation.

No! 

I've read that with an interrail pass you can travel for free in the wagons that pull the Bernina express. I just want to know if you can reserve a seat in these wagons so you know for sure you can join this train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sven  Yes you can travel in the carriage (in real it´s a Unit) that hauls the Bernina Express without any surcharge/reservation

I was never able to reserve a seat on the hauling unit. But you may ask Rhaetian Railway directly.

@AnnaB If you have a look on this train configuration you can see the first 3 “carriage” are a unit. This unit can be used without any surcharge and even have few openable windows :) https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&kategorie=PE&cislo=952&nazev=Bernina%20Express&rok=2021

There are even few Bernina Express trains (mainly the trains to St. Moritz) that have the older Units in front like in this configuration
https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&kategorie=PE&cislo=972&nazev=Bernina%20Express&rok=2021

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I just sent a question to RhB asking about how you should do if you want to travel in the non-panorama waggons of the Bernina Express. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Sven  Yes you can travel in the carriage (in real it´s a Unit) that hauls the Bernina Express without any surcharge/reservation

I was never able to reserve a seat on the hauling unit. But you may ask Rhaetian Railway directly.

@AnnaB If you have a look on this train configuration you can see the first 3 “carriage” are a unit. This unit can be used without any surcharge and even have few openable windows :) https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&kategorie=PE&cislo=952&nazev=Bernina%20Express&rok=2021

There are even few Bernina Express trains (mainly the trains to St. Moritz) that have the older Units in front like in this configuration
https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&kategorie=PE&cislo=972&nazev=Bernina%20Express&rok=2021

@seewulf 

Thank you very much for your clear explanation 😍😍😍

I send a message to the Rhaetian Railway with my question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The answer from RhB, se below, is that it not is possible to make a reservation in the non-panorama cars of the Bernina Express. You just board without reservation.

Allegra, sehr geehrte Frau Björnson

Besten Dank für Ihre Nachricht.

Ganz vorne beim Bernina Express hat es gewöhnliche Wagen. Dort wird kein Zuschlag erhoben.

Eine Sitzplatzreservation ist leider nicht möglich. Sie können einfach einsteigen.

Freundliche Grüsse

Manuela Vital