Solved

1st Class vs. 2nd Class Sleeper. What's the difference?

• 14 May 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello!

My parents and I are taking a trip to Europe next week. We purchased a 1st class EURail pass and have been booking the train rides that require reservations. Toward the end of our trip, we are taking night trains. I saw there are multiple sleeping arrangements available for purchase on the night trains. Could someone explain the difference between the 1st class 3 person sleeper and the 2nd class 3 person sleeper?

For another one of our train rides, there is not a 3 person sleeper available and there is only a 4-person berth available for the night train. If we purchase the 4-person berth, will they fill the 4th spot or is there a way we could get the 4 person berth for only three of us? Also, will my dad be separated from my mom and I on gender-specific berths?

Thanks so much!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 14 May 2022, 23:39

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Which night trains exactly do you mean? Because arrangements can differ from train to train. A sleeper compartment for 3 persons is generally 2nd class though.

A "4-person sleeper” is almost non-existent and is probably a 4-person couchette. In couchettes sexes are normally mixed. Sleeper compartments are single-sex, unless you book the whole compartment.

Seat61.com has a page explaining sleeper trains.

Hey! Thank you for your quick response. 

Here are the night trains we are taking: 

-Naples to Vienna

-Vienna to Amsterdam

-Amsterdam to Copenhagen

If we book a 2nd class 3-person sleeper on these night trains, I understand that means we will have to use a common shower. Is this shower in someone else’s sleeper room or is there a shared shower for a group of sleeper cars?

For the Vienna to Amsterdam train, the only option that is available is a 4 person couchette. Is there a way to purchase this couchette for 3 people only and make it a private room for our family?

Finally, I got this message while trying to book the Amsterdam to Copenhagen night train. Does this mean the train is fully booked? How can I get around this error message? 

Is there a toll-free number for EURail that we can call from the US?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The answer to you last question is that there is no number to call.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have checked both the DB (German Railway) and ÖBB (Austrian Railway) and there seems as there is no night train running from Amsterdam to Copenhagen at the moment.

That's probably why you get an error message while trying to book that train.

Hey!

Thank you so much, Anna! That makes sense. 

I appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here are the night trains we are taking: 

-Naples to Vienna

There is no direct sleeper from Naples to Vienna. On which part of the journey would you use a sleeper? Maybe on Rome - Vienna? That one is best booked via ÖBB using these steps.

-Vienna to Amsterdam

That train (and also Rome-Vienna) is all second class, but as Seat61 explains, 1st and 2nd class are best not used for night trains. The real choice is the type of accommodation: both night ttrains have couchettes (4 and 6-berth compartments) and sleeper compartments (both normal and deluxe, i.e. with private toilet and shower), which can be used by 1, 2 or 3 persons. Also best booked via ÖBB using these steps.

-Amsterdam to Copenhagen

There is no direct sleeper train, but from your screenshot, I see you're looking at the Hamburg to Stockholm night train, which has couchettes only and no shower as far as I know. The best way to book it is via the operator website (Snälltåget). Enter EURAIL in the "promotion code” field to get the pass prices. Choose Höje Taastrup as your destination (which is the station served by this train close to Copenhagen). Select "private compartment” if you don't want to share it with others.

The connecting trains from Amsterdam to Hamburg are best booked via DB using the option "Seat only” (these reservations are optional).

If we book a 2nd class 3-person sleeper on these night trains, I understand that means we will have to use a common shower. Is this shower in someone else’s sleeper room or is there a shared shower for a group of sleeper cars?

If there's a common shower (not sure), then that will be a shared one in the sleeping car.

For the Vienna to Amsterdam train, the only option that is available is a 4 person couchette. Is there a way to purchase this couchette for 3 people only and make it a private room for our family?

There may be. On which date is that?

Finally, I got this message while trying to book the Amsterdam to Copenhagen night train. Does this mean the train is fully booked? How can I get around this error message? 

On which date is that?