Solved

Are seats reserved via interrail/eurorail valid if the local train carrier says the train is sold out?

• 14 June 2022
  • 7 replies

I’m trying to book a train from Stockholm to Copenhagen on the 23rd June. On the Swedish train website (sj.se) nearly all trains are sold out on this date (which makes sense because its just before midsummer so would be a busy time), but on the interrail reservation system it shows tickets available for nearly every train. Has anyone faced a similar situation? I’m concerned that if I book a reservation via interrail there may be a mistake and the reservation not actually valid. I’m traveling with a young child so its fairly important that we actually get seats as well as just not being thrown off the train.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 14 June 2022, 13:46

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The national site is usually always best-the EU/INt site is plagues with anomalies and errors. Its BTW just After midsommerafton, the general start of holidays anywhere in Scandinavia.

You can book direct via sj.se-IF this through train is full-check from Malmo-much more trains, use pendel tag Skanetrafiken till M. Its easy and convenient to book via sj , they ask for a passcover nr up up till now it seems they accept any invented (I/E with 8 digits). Google on howtodo-use the overveiw of seewulf (you have to activate SJ-Prio after stating trip and then scroll for passes)

The national site is usually always best-the EU/INt site is plagues with anomalies and errors. Its BTW just After midsommerafton, the general start of holidays anywhere in Scandinavia.

You can book direct via sj.se-IF this through train is full-check from Malmo-much more trains, use pendel tag Skanetrafiken till M. Its easy and convenient to book via sj , they ask for a passcover nr up up till now it seems they accept any invented (I/E with 8 digits). Google on howtodo-use the overveiw of seewulf (you have to activate SJ-Prio after stating trip and then scroll for passes)

Thanks very much for the reply. I’ve now discovered that although the eurrail website doesn’t list any of the trains as sold out when browsing, once you add it to cart, go to checkout, enter all your personal information etc, only then does it say it’s sold out. Pretty silly way to operate the website. Anyway thanks for the tip about Malmo, there is one option there for a direct train down there and then change for another to Copenhagen booked separately, so should work out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As I can see the only possible trains with seats left in normal 2nd class, during reasonable time when you travel with a young child, from Stockholm to Malmö on the 23/6 is Snälltåget departing Stockholm at 9.00 and the SJ high speed train at 15.22 from Stockholm.

Does your child have a childrens pass or is it younger than 4?

The 23/6 is the biggest travelday in the whole summer as it is the day before Midsummer. You should make your reservation ASAP as the seats sell out quickly.

As I can see the only possible trains with seats left in normal 2nd class, during reasonable time when you travel with a young child, from Stockholm to Malmö on the 23/6 is Snälltåget departing Stockholm at 9.00 and the SJ high speed train at 15.22 from Stockholm.

Does your child have a childrens pass or is it younger than 4?

The 23/6 is the biggest travelday in the whole summer as it is the day before Midsummer. You should make your reservation ASAP as the seats sell out quickly.

Thanks very much for checking this for me, and the advice. I have a children’s pass connected to my interrail pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I now checked the availability for 2 persons and the 15.22 train is sold out. The 9.00 trains is available and there is a train at 16.59 from Stockholm that arrives in Malmö at 21.20. But that is rather late if you want to go to Copenhagen.

I now checked the availability for 2 persons and the 15.22 train is sold out. The 9.00 trains is available and there is a train at 16.59 from Stockholm that arrives in Malmö at 21.20. But that is rather late if you want to go to Copenhagen.

Thanks so much for your efforts. I’ve now booked the 9:00 train down to Malmö. It seems for the train from Malmö to Copenhagen its not necessary to book a seat, and there are several per hour. In this case do you simply add the train to your route in the app and show the QR code on the train?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In this case do you simply add the train to your route in the app and show the QR code on the train?

Yes, that’s correct. I hope that you have a nice stay in Sweden and a nice trip to Copenhagen.