Solved

Bosphorus express, is it worth booking with interrail?

• 24 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello I am planning to Travel from Bologna to Istanbul.
I will arrive in “Bucuresti Nord” at 15:05 and plan to take the Bosphorus Express on the day after at 10:50.

I read in this forum that I have to buy tickets for the latter in the Bucuresti station (I should have plenty of time)

What I don’t understand is how the reservation works.
On the interrail website it says that a single cabin sleeper is € 77 on top of the interrail pass
https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/night-trains/bosphorus-express-night-train

But on the Seat61 website I can see that the price for the same route without interrail pass is €63:
https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/bucharest-and-sofia-to-istanbul-by-train.htm

The reason why I ask this question, is because If the reservation with interrail Pass is similar to buy a ticket on my own, I will just buy it on my own and save a day.

So my questions are:
1) can you confirm that it is possible to buy Bosphorus Express tickets in Bucuresti Nord?
2) is someone aware about the current Bosphorus Express prices with and without interrail?
3) I will travel From Bologna to Wien (departure 7:45; arrival 17:32) and take connection Wien to Bucuresti (departure 19:42; arrival 15:05 (+1 day)). Does this count as a one day on my pass?

thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 24 June 2023, 13:32

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  1. You can certainly book tickets and pass reservations in București Nord. Tickets can also be bought online on the CFR website. Pass reservations cannot be bought online.
  2. The Bosphorus Express page on the Interrail website looks outdated. There is no sleeper, only a couchette carriage with 4-person compartments. Seat61 and Interrail mention the same price (€14) for the couchette reservation, so that is likely to be correct. Check regular ticket prices on the CFR website.
  3. That is one travel day indeed. Vienna-Bucharest can be booked online on tickets.oebb.at: add the Interrail/Eurail discount and choose "One-way tickets”.