Solved

Can you have one pass be used for multiple groups or "trips"

• 24 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I am trying to book seat reservations for myself and a group of friends (6 including me) for a journey going from Budapest to Venice (you end up having to go to Wein then back to Venice). This is a part of a larger trip we are taking around Europe.

When I book it says this leg of the journey is unavailable please try a different, so I look up this error and find out it may be because there are 6 people in our “trip” I’ve set up.

I was wondering if it would be possible to link my pass to two “trips”: one for “trip” of 6 people which is to be used for the majority of journeys taken between countries and another for the one journey where we need to potentially split into two groups in order to be able to book seat reservations. We each have our own passes.

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 24 April 2023, 18:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There's 2€ booking fee per person per train on interrail.eu

It can be avoided by booking with the train companies themselves (see my other reply).

These links will also help you :

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Could you please specify: route, date, departure time, class (1st/2nd) for each train you want to book? There are often better and cheaper websites to book than the Interrail website but they depend on the trains you want to book.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You seem to be confusing passes with reservations. 

Reservations are totally separate from trains in your pass. For the majority of reservations you do not require a pass to get the reservation, and when you do you only need one pass to make a booking for a group. Each booking company has different processes and maximum group size - tends to vary between 4 and 6 and there are guides on the community linked earlier. If you have to make 2 bookings you can use the same pass details for both of them. The seats for a second booking will possibly be in a separate carriage.

So to travel on any train each passenger needs a pass with a Trip set up (One Trip per pass). This can be on their own device or all one one device - your choice. However each pass needs its own trip with all the trains added.

Before travel (once pass is activated) you transfer the train to your pass. The first train of the day creates a Travel Day and a QR code for the day with a listing below the QR code for the train details. As you travel on more trains that day you follow the same process - Trip to Pass and then they are added to the listing. This is your travel ticket for any train in the network, but not your guarantee of a seat.

For trains with mandatory reservations you need separate evidence of the reservation - this may be paper or, in most cases, a pdf displayed on your device. Train inspectors will need both for your journey to be valid.