Solved

How do I reserve seats before our passes have been activated?

• 14 July 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello! Our group has four travelers with paper Eurail France (Flexi) Passes good for 4 days of travel. How do I reserve seats before our passes have been activated? The website doesn’t recognize our pass cover numbers.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 14 July 2022, 23:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Which website are you trying to make the reservation at?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Paper passes as such cannot be activated. Maybe you are misled by some hints at that in the text-just forget that. To make RES on TGV and trains that do need to in FR-call SNCF- nr in /en/

The pass cover nrs should be on the cover-back side, IF you have got the right cover.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Paper passes as such cannot be activated. 

I have learnt that there is the possibility to buy Eurail passes with an open start date. These have to be activated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning and reservations. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and ticket in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Eurail.com

Paper passes as such cannot be activated. Maybe you are misled by some hints at that in the text-just forget that. To make RES on TGV and trains that do need to in FR-call SNCF- nr in /en/

The pass cover nrs should be on the cover-back side, IF you have got the right cover.

Thanks! Where on the SNCF site is it possible to make reservations with a Eurail pass without paying full fare for the trip? I have checked and re-checked (and rechecked, etc.) the pass cover numbers and names. Looking for SNCF phone numbers now…

Eurail.com, and thank you!

I have learnt that there is the possibility to buy Eurail passes with an open start date. These have to be activated.

As in, they have to be activated before reserving seats? Thank you.!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As in, they have to be activated before reserving seats? Thank you.!

There is no connection between the paper pass and the reservations so you don't need to activate the paper pass to make the reservations, if you by activate mean that you get a stamp on you pass from a train staff who also signs it and writes the start date.

What do you mean by "activating the pass"?