Solved

Impossible to book seat reservations - no need for Interrail pass

• 19 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi, I have bought a Global Mobile pass (7 trave days/1 month) and was planning to take this route in a few weeks:

Gothenburg - Copenhagen - Hamburg - Frankfurt - Marseille - Barcelona

Before I bought my pass, the “book reservations” page made it seem like I would be able to book all of the seat reservations with no issues and it showed me the prices too. However - as soon as I had bought my pass and logged in, it started only telling me “Prices unavailable” or “Prices temporarily unavailable” for the latter part of the trip. It doesn’t matter which departure or date I choose. If I go to bahn.com and sncf.com the train tickets I’m interested in are all available, but for a full price. I could buy these instead, but then there’s absolutely no reason for me to have an Interrail pass and I feel like I have poured money down the drain.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 19 June 2022, 18:15

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is a bug in the Interail/Eurail planner showing that no seats are available on the TGV when the 10 EUR pass holder seats are sold out. The Interrail/Eurail planner can't sell the 20 EUR pass holder seats. Those you need to buy elsewhere.

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website. You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new post, and you will get advice. 

The best way to make reservations for French trains is to call SNCF. No need of Pass Cover Number. 

https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

Press #85 for English, no booking fees, reservations are sent via e-mail

There is a bug in the Interail/Eurail planner showing that no seats are available on the TGV when the 10 EUR pass holder seats are sold out. The Interrail/Eurail planner can't sell the 20 EUR pass holder seats. Those you need to buy elsewhere.

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website. You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new post, and you will get advice. 

The best way to make reservations for French trains is to call SNCF. No need of Pass Cover Number. 

https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

Press #85 for English, no booking fees, reservations are sent via e-mail

Thank you, I have already read the guide but I stil feel a bit confused. I might try calling SNCF for the Marseille-Barcelona trip, but do I also need to call Bahn for the Frankfurt-Marseille trip? I did try the “Seat only”-option on the website and it didn’t work, but it also says in the guide that it doesn’t work for TGV trains...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes you call SNCF also for the train Frankfurt-Marseilles. Please note, that sometimes staff of the call center do not want to sell you the reservation, maybe you have to call a second time to get someone else. 

Yes you call SNCF also for the train Frankfurt-Marseilles. Please note, that sometimes staff of the call center do not want to sell you the reservation, maybe you have to call a second time to get someone else. 

So I should call SNCF for both trains and not Bahn for the Frankfurt one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, try. No you have, Yes you can get-or not.

Also: these trips over border cost quite a lot extra to pay in suplmt-you can avoid that by hopping over order by slower regional trains-as has been told here a few million times.

It gets even worse once you are in ESpana and want to go further-again you have chosen 2 out 3 hardest countries to travel in on these hi-speed trains.

Perhaps now you start to grasp that Grethaś advice to take trains is not that easy in united EUrope.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So I should call SNCF for both trains and not Bahn for the Frankfurt one?

SNCF can 100% sure sell both trains.