Solved

Night Train from Halkali to Sofia

• 22 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi, I hope I can get some help with the following questions.

1. I understand that when travelling on a night train, I will only have to use 1 travel day (the day of departure). However, for the Halkali - Sofia night train, where there is a need to disembark at Kapikule for passport control, is the train ride still counted as one travel day?
  2. Also, on the Rail planner, the currently available itinerary for the Halkali - Sofia route consists of a train change at Plovdiv. Does anyone know if the direct train that departs at 2240 (during winter) is still running?
  3. I have reserved a sleeper cabin on a NightJet that departs the station at 2313. Should there be a delay in the departure time of the train such that it departs after 2359, do I have to use another travel day or will the original date be taken as my travel day?

I have bought a 7-day flexible pass and my current travel plan unfortunately does not leave room for any buffer day so your answers would help me determine if there is a need to make changes to my plan.

Thank you so much for your help. :)

icon

Best answer by cdwatkins19 22 October 2022, 11:33

View original

3 replies

Badge +5

The fact you have to get off the train for passport control is irrelevant. It’s just one journey.

The sleepers and couchette car run right through. At Plovdiv they attach more carriages for local travel to Sophia.

You must book this train - it can only be done in Turkey or Bulgaria . Sirkeci station in Istanbul have an International window. It is often full at the weekend. Book as far in advance as you can. I’m writing this from Istanbul having used the train last week. This train can be heavily delayed so don’t make any tight connections in Sophia! This is due to massive engineering work between Plovdiv and Sofia.

it does not matter if the train leaves late. It is the time on the reservation that counts.

Dear cdwatkins19,

Thank you for the quick response and the advice. Really appreciate it. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

there is also railturkey.org for all info conceivable about trains in there-also has many trip reports.

Sirkeci is in fact the old station in Ist-beside the water, near the shipbridge-where in the past the train used to start/end-that is no more. There is still a counter that sells tickets-brush up your command of TR even for this ´international´ service