Solved

Patras to Athens- can't find a train connection

• 14 September 2021
  • 7 replies

Hey guys 🙂

I’ll take the ferry from Bari to Patras and I would like to continue my journey to Athens afterwards, but I could not find a train .. I only found a direct bus connection ..

Do you know if there is a way to travel by train ? 
Thanks a lot :) 

icon

Best answer by MartinM 14 September 2021, 12:35

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Rebecca,

you can take a bus from Patras to Kiato and from Kiato you can take a train to Athens.
There are no trains between Kiato and Patras due to construction works at the moment.

You can find the timetable on the website of TRAINOSE. Use Patra for Patras.
The bus should also be covered by Interrail.

If you are not in a hurry, I’d recommend you to make a stop in Diakopto and use the train from there to Kalavrita… very scenic ride! 

Have a nice trip!

Hi Rebecca,

you can take a bus from Patras to Kiato and from Kiato you can take a train to Athens.
There are no trains between Kiato and Patras due to construction works at the moment.

If you are not in a hurry, I’d recommend you to make a stop in Diakopto and use the train from there to Kalavrita… very scenic ride! 

Have a nice trip!

Thanks a lot for your quick answer ! :)

And do you if I can use my inbound ticket to get out of my home country? So, I would like to travel from cologne to Freiburg (with the outbound ticket) and the next day from Freiburg to Basel (with the inbound ticket) .. I will not return to my home country at the end of the journey .. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Rebecca,

Have a nice trip!

And do you if I can use my inbound ticket to get out of my home country? So, I would like to travel from cologne to Freiburg (with the outbound ticket) and the next day from Freiburg to Basel (with the inbound ticket) .. I will not return to my home country at the end of the journey .. 

Unfortunately that is not possible - outbound journey can only be used for outbound trip, inbound only for inbound… But as your trip contains two outbound trips (#1 Köln-Freiburg, #2 Freiburg-Basel, it doesn’t work :(). You might need an additional one-way ticket from Freiburg to Basel in this case… 

Hi Rebecca,

Have a nice trip!

Unfortunately that is not possible - outbound journey can only be used for outbound trip, inbound only for inbound… But as your trip contains two outbound trips (#1 Köln-Freiburg, #2 Freiburg-Basel, it doesn’t work :(). You might need an additional one-way ticket from Freiburg to Basel in this case… 

Thanks 🙏☺️

Hi Martin. I am taking this same journey but I'm having trouble booking the bus through trainose with my interracial pass. It does not offer interrail on the discount group. Can you help? Thanks very much. Jonny 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Martin. I am taking this same journey but I'm having trouble booking the bus through trainose with my interracial pass. It does not offer interrail on the discount group. Can you help? Thanks very much. Jonny

I'd be surprised if you need a reservation for this bus service. Just add the journey to your pass and board the bus.

Hey guys 🙂

I’ll take the ferry from Bari to Patras and I would like to continue my journey to Athens afterwards, but I could not find a train .. I only found a direct bus connection ..

Do you know if there is a way to travel by train ? 
Thanks a lot :) 

Hi Rebecca, 

I’m planning on making the trip from Athens to Patras, also partly by bus. I was wondering if it worked out eventually! Was the bus covered by you pass? And did you reserve your seat in advance? Because in the Interrail app it says a reservation is required.

thanks!

Myrthe