Solved

Problemi with Group travel / mobile pass / rail planner app

Hi!
I purchased a mobile interrail pass for the first time.

I bought a 4-day pass within a month.
I will travel in a group of 5 people; the trip will start from Munich then it will stop in Budapest, Prague, Berlin and then back to Munich. I have many doubts about booking / app / app travel creation / pass activation.

Let's start from the beginning. I take as an example the first travel section, which will be the same for the other ones:

Munich - Budapest route - reservations required

• A) I tried to book seats from the interrail site for days but it doesn’t make me proceed due to various errors, so I used the Obb site and I found the EC63 train with departure time 9.29 (I still have to book). Is the seat-booking a separate procedure? And is this the reason why it doesn’t comunicate with the Rail planner application? Consequently, when I get on the train and the conductor will check the tickets, do I need to show him both the reservation and the ticket through the app?
  • B) Through the app, I found the EC63 train that I will have to take, and of course a reservation is required for this one. If I have already did it, does the app still let me add the Munich-Budapest route?
  • C) We are 5 friends, so 5 passes, from the site I create "my trip" by putting the custom name "Munich-Budapest-Prague" and adding all the 5 passes. All of this on the site. But how do you do it on the Rail Planner App ?? Do I have to enter all the 5 passes? And do I find the trips created on my account?
  • D) a 6th person will join us in Prague. Should I create a second trip by re-entering all 5 passes and adding the sixth ones or am I allowed to create only one trip?
  • E) Question of application and how to operate while traveling. Let's think in the singular.  
    •  Main screen: at the bottom right I find "My Pass", click on "Add a Pass". Since I bought a mobile pass, I click on "Mobile Pass", I enter my details and click on "Add this pass". Everything fine. 
    • The app asks me to "Connect to a trip". Do I have to create the trip from the beginning? doesn’t the app import the one I created on the website? What should I include in this trip? Also in the "my trip" section there is a check where it asks "connect a pass to this trip”. Should I check it? If I do it, what happen? 
    • Perhaps this question will already be answered above. When do I need to link my pass to the travel?
  • Last question: can I travel in 4 different days with  the “4 days in a month pass”?

I would really like to understand how it works!Thank you.

icon

Best answer by seewulf 3 July 2022, 23:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

A.) You can reserve easily directly with the Railcompanies no need to use Interrail :) And often especially on your Route much cheaper
For example via oebb.at
B) EC63 which is in real the Railjet63 doesnt need a reservation it´s a mistake by the app :) As the train only needs a reservation if you travel within Hungary like Györ - Budapest. But as you travel as a group i still recommend one.
C.) not needed if you reserve via oebb.at or other platforms
D.)
E.) Each pass must be connected to a Trip the trips on the Website and in the app are currently not connected :/

Your pass have to be linked to a trip when you activate it. Within the trip you can change your journey´s at anytime or adapt it for lastminute changes due missed connections :)

I recommend to read the Informations on Interrail.eu how to get started and watch even the Video on youtube as it explain everything quite well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and ticket in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

A.) You can reserve easily directly with the Railcompanies no need to use Interrail :) And often especially on your Route much cheaper
For example via oebb.at
B) EC63 which is in real the Railjet63 doesnt need a reservation it´s a mistake by the app :) As the train only needs a reservation if you travel within Hungary like Györ - Budapest. But as you travel as a group i still recommend one.
C.) not needed if you reserve via oebb.at or other platforms
D.)
E.) Each pass must be connected to a Trip the trips on the Website and in the app are currently not connected :/

Your pass have to be linked to a trip when you activate it. Within the trip you can change your journey´s at anytime or adapt it for lastminute changes due missed connections :)

I recommend to read the Informations on Interrail.eu how to get started and watch even the Video on youtube as it explain everything quite well.

thanks! 😍The information you gave me was very useful. So as last questions to rest assured, if each pass is loaded on a different device, when I make reservations from the various sites, for example oebb.at, can I take all 5 seats together or can it confuse the controller?
So is it better to have one pass on each device or can you get all the passes on one device if you don't split up during the trip?
Thanksssss💖. I love this community
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is no problem that you show 5 reservations and each person the pass on an own device. I would recommend that.  Even if you plan to travel together all the time, things might happen that forces you to change your plans. If all passes are on the same device you can't split up unless you get the overloaded Customer Support to disconnect the relevant pass from the connected phone.