Solved

Reserved e-tickets that need to be printed - does it work to just show via email

• 24 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Hey! So I was interrailing last spring and had no problem with my reserved seats since I had them all printed out. I would however like to do a trip with no planned route or anything like that, ehich means that I can’t reserve and print the tickets at home beforehand. I was wondering if the e-tickets work fine by showing them from my email even though it says on the Interrail website to print all of them just in case.

icon

Best answer by Angelo 24 July 2022, 17:30

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi it depends from country to country and from train to train. 

Best countries to use trains with no reservation or with optional reservation are Norway, Denmark (except Copenhagen-Hamburg in Summer), Netherlands and Belgium (Thalys and Eurostar reservation compulsory), Germany (highspeed ICE only optional reservation), Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia. 

Countries with a lot of trains with compulsory reservation, but easy to get it:

Hungary and Slovakia (only national trips, for international trips not compulsory), Italy, Poland (easy most of the trains, not easy Berlin-Poland). 

Avoid Spain and international high speed trains to/from France and currently France and Sweden. 

Check here where you can buy reservations, avoiding Interrail.eu

How to get Reservations 🙂 | Community 

P.S. Most local trains do not need a reservation. Except some trains in Spain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Add GB and IE also to the list of easy countries.

HU,SK,PL: RES only mandatory for the faster IC-trains -cost very little, can do till dep. (except at real busy times) from local machine or counter.

In general it is not really needed to print out all that stuff-as you have looked around you may have noted that most pax nowadays show it on their fone.

The nasty cases are as angelo tells: the hi-speed superfast trains in those 3 countries-but again these are so modern that e-tix are quite OK.

And as your suomenlainen: alas., the route via the 3 baltics: EE-LV-LT is not really to recommend-very few trains, bad connections, no trains over border,  a bus will work better there.

site seat61com also has lots of info on how to get there overland from UK-and back, so use sectors out of it.