Solved

Seat reservation on bahn.com

Hi guys, I need some help. I tried to reserve a seat for the amsterdam central-berlin hbf night train for 19/10. The interrail booking site told me that it was not possible to reserve a seat, even though a reservation was not required. I booked on bahn.com, even at a lower price, and had no problem booking a seat. Do you know the bahn.com site is reliable and is this reservation still valid?
icon

Best answer by Angelo 8 October 2022, 18:33

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, there is no direct nighttrain between Amsterdam and Berlin. But with changing trains you can use a ICE train traveling by night (only seats available).

DB ask 4,50€/booking for a reservation

Interrail.eu 8€/seat for a reservation

And yes it is valid a reservation by DB with an Interrail pass.

Here in the community we often say to better not use interrail.eu because you have to pay more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It is always best to make the reservation with the railway company running the train so German trains are best booked through bahn. com. Please read more about that below.

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IF you choose the overnight connection-and blindly follow the planners, you are pointed to the combined NJ/IC-overnite from AMS via Duisburg/Düsseldorf to ward Swiss-SEATs in this train (that is more often late as on time shortly after reaching Germany) cannoit be RES via bahn.com and it is also not really needed in this time of yr. BUT you have to use the 3 seated cars that are run as IC, NOT the OeBB cars that run as NJ and have 6-person compatrments old style.

Duisburg station, the first to change, is awful and currently now also under complete repairs/renovations that should have staretd some 20 yrs ago. It may be wiser to use an earlier ICE and change Düsseldorf.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

IF you choose the overnight connection-and blindly follow the planners, you are pointed to the combined NJ/IC-overnite from AMS via Duisburg/Düsseldorf to ward Swiss-SEATs in this train (that is more often late as on time shortly after reaching Germany) cannoit be RES via bahn.com

@mcadv 

I guess you never tried because you can book this train via bahn.com.

Badge

Hi, there is no direct nighttrain between Amsterdam and Berlin. But with changing trains you can use a ICE train traveling by night (only seats available).

DB ask 4,50€/booking for a reservation

Interrail.eu 8€/seat for a reservation

And yes it is valid a reservation by DB with an Interrail pass.

Here in the community we often say to better not use interrail.eu because you have to pay more.

If you click on the ‘more’ → ‘Seat Reservations’ → ‘Germany’ in Eurail Planner App, you will find any three companies: (ČD, Deutsche Bahn and DSB) are all shows ‘Mobile tickets, no booking fees’. 

But when I followed the link to book, they show the fees. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The fees are if you book through Eurail.com, not if you book directly through DB, ČD or DSB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just for clarity there are 2 elements to the price charged, the first is the operators tariff for a seat reservation and the second is the booking fee. Eurail can prove expensive as it charges a booking fee of 2 euro per seat, others vary from no booking fee to a few euros per booking, irrespective of number of seats. Each should be clearly indicated when you get to checkout.

Badge

The fees are if you book through Eurail.com, not if you book directly through DB, ČD or DSB.

Yes, I understand that. But when I following the link provided by the Planner App to DB website to reserve a seat. It shows the seat will be charged €5.95 to be reserved (not the ticket cost, just the reservation).

I don’t what I have done wrong - or what should I do to avoid the booking fee.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In that case, make the reservation directly at bahn.com. Use the option "seat only" . The reservation cost is 4,50 EUR in 2nd class. No booking fee. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Really weird price, maybe you checked paper delivery ? There is no fee otherwise

Should be 4.50€ per journey (2nd class) or 5.90€ 1st class on bahn.de

3€ per train (2nd class) or free (1st class) on tickets.oebb.at

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, I understand that. But when I following the link provided by the Planner App to DB website to reserve a seat. It shows the seat will be charged €5.95 to be reserved (not the ticket cost, just the reservation).

I don’t what I have done wrong - or what should I do to avoid the booking fee.

To rephrase Yorkie's comments, what you pay consists of 2 elements:

1. The reservation fee.
  2. The booking fee.

Both can also be 0. For optional reservations, Eurail often charge a €6 reservation fee and a €2 booking fee per person and train.

DB charge no booking fee and their reservation fee is €4.50 per person and journey in 2nd class; €5.90 in 1st class.

ÖBB also charge no booking fee; reservation fee is €3 per person and train in 2nd class (in Austria: €3 per person and journey); no reservation fee in 1st class. The rail planner app doesn't mention ÖBB for reservations in Germany but you can still use them (the app isn't complete).

Since you seem to have a 1st class pass, it's cheaper to book via ÖBB: go to tickets.oebb.at, add the Interrail/Eurail discount, and then select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. Do NOT use "Seat reservation only”.

Badge

In that case, make the reservation directly at bahn.com. Use the option "seat only" . The reservation cost is 4,50 EUR in 2nd class.

I made the reservation directly at bahn.com. My have 1st class Mobile Pass. therefore it would charge me €5.95.

But the App shows ‘Mobile tickets, no booking fees’.

Badge

1. The reservation fee.
  2. The booking fee.

Both can also be 0. For optional reservations, Eurail often charge a €6 reservation fee and a €2 booking fee per person and train.

DB charge no booking fee and their reservation fee is €4.50 per person and journey in 2nd class; €5.90 in 1st class.

ÖBB also charge no booking fee; reservation fee is €3 per person and train in 2nd class (in Austria: €3 per person and journey); no reservation fee in 1st class. The rail planner app doesn't mention ÖBB for reservations in Germany but you can still use them (the app isn't complete).

Since you seem to have a 1st class pass, it's cheaper to book via ÖBB: go to tickets.oebb.at, add the Interrail/Eurail discount, and then select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. Do NOT use "Seat reservation only”.

That make sense now. In that case, I don’t think I would pay for the reservation. I believe that it is unlikely 1st class would run out seats, would they?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

1. The reservation fee.
  2. The booking fee.

That make sense now. In that case, I don’t think I would pay for the reservation. I believe that it is unlikely 1st class would run out seats, would they?

Last year we travelled first class from Frankfurt to Brussels on the direct ICE service. Not only were there no seats in first class the train was impossible to walk through because of bodies sitting on every bit of space plus bags and bikes. At every stop it was worse as some tried to get off, others jumped into their seats and then passengers boarded demanding their reserved seats.

For the few euros to reserve ICE it was worth every penny. Even when there are seats you are always at risk of needing to move as passengers join the train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes I'd make them too, especially as they're free with a 1st class pass anyway. Simply for peace of mind

I mean you're not required to take that train, you can always change your mind

Badge

Yes I'd make them too, especially as they're free with a 1st class pass anyway. Simply for peace of mind

I mean you're not required to take that train, you can always change your mind

Hi thibcabe, 

why did you say ‘they're free with a 1st class pass’? I have tried with DB. It costs €5.90 for each reservation. How did you do to make it free?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

what did you say ‘they're free with a 1st class pass’? I have tried with DB. It costs €5.90 for each reservation. How did you do to make it free?

Book via the ÖBB website. I'll repeat my comment from above:

If you then select 1st class in the second step, then reservations are free of charge. Also in Germany.

Badge

Last year we travelled first class from Frankfurt to Brussels on the direct ICE service. Not only were there no seats in first class the train was impossible to walk through because of bodies sitting on every bit of space plus bags and bikes. At every stop it was worse as some tried to get off, others jumped into their seats and then passengers boarded demanding their reserved seats.

For the few euros to reserve ICE it was worth every penny. Even when there are seats you are always at risk of needing to move as passengers join the train.

That is interesting to me. I never thought 1st class will be that bad. There must be some 2nd class people came to the 1st class cart.

Anyway, I have 2 months continual 1st class pass which will last for 61 days. If I pay €5.90 for each reservation, there will be at least 120x€5.90, not even consider some day have more than 2 (return) trips, and changes. That will add up at least 700 Euros.

Besides, my plan is very flexible. I often change my mind. Also I get sick, if I site on the wrong direction while train is moving. When reserve a seat, you never know which direction you are siting. 

Badge

If you then select 1st class in the second step, then reservations are free of charge. Also in Germany.

I did. But they still charge me €5.90. If it is 2nd class it will be €4.50, as others said.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Free of charge through tickets.oebb.at

Add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I did. But they still charge me €5.90. If it is 2nd class it will be €4.50, as others said.

You did not follow my instructions:

go to tickets.oebb.at, add the Interrail/Eurail discount, and then select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. Do NOT use "Seat reservation only”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That is interesting to me. I never thought 1st class will be that bad. There must be some 2nd class people came to the 1st class cart.

Anyway, I have 2 months continual 1st class pass which will last for 61 days. If I pay €5.90 for each reservation, there will be at least 120x€5.90, not even consider some day have more than 2 (return) trips, and changes. That will add up at least 700 Euros.

Besides, my plan is very flexible. I often change my mind. Also I get sick, if I site on the wrong direction while train is moving. When reserve a seat, you never know which direction you are siting. 

Even if it had been second class passengers using first class seats it is still the same problem - if you do not have a reservation you cannot ask them if they have a first or second class ticket or have any right to ask them to leave - only the train staff can do that. However show your reservation and they and changes  have to move - irrespective of what class ticket they have.

All your concerns are indeed valid but your assessment of the extra cost is somewhat flawed. If you are planning on so much travel just in Germany there are many trains (the regional ones) where reservations are not available. If you are travelling early or late you will not need reservations and you will soon work out which are going to be busy trains. Over 61 days I would expect to maybe make 10 reservations on trains shown to be busy (The Dbahn app shows a prediction on all their ICE trains on how busy they will be.)

If you fall sick that is bad luck but shouldn’t be a reason not to make reservations - just a small loss if you have paid. 

You can make these decisions almost on the day 

Badge

You did not follow my instructions:

go to tickets.oebb.at, add the Interrail/Eurail discount, and then select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. Do NOT use "Seat reservation only”.

Sorry.

The OEBB works. They didn’t charge me. But didn’t give a seat number either.

Sorry, it did. I didn’t click on the details.

Should l just show my validated Pass to gather with the reservation ticket on the train?

Badge

Thanks Youkie! Those information are very useful. I really appreciate it

Badge

Hi rvdborgt ,

What would happen, if I reserved a seat, but didn’t turn up, or I missed the train?