Solved

Should I buy the pass before making reservations?

• 25 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi, I’m new to the community! I’m planning to purchase a 15 day straight interrail pass. Should I buy the pass before I start making train reservations?

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 25 June 2022, 22:24

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you will travel on trains with mandatory reservations it is good to first check the availability of free seats and also to make reservations for popular trains so that you know that you will be able to take the trains you wish. Don't do this in the rail planner as the information there is incorrect. 

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website. You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new post, and you will get advice. 

In the Rail Planner I see options for my routes where there is no reservation needed… Should I trust that? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In the Rail Planner I see options for my routes where there is no reservation needed… Should I trust that? 

Most of the time you can trust it, but sometimes it is wrong.  The best is to ask here in the community. Here there are people who are experts on reservations. Generally night trains and high speed trains (not in Germany) have mandatory reservations.

Depending on when and where you travel it can be wise to make reservations even if reservations are optional. Om some trains reservations can't be made. 

If you share your travel plans here you will get advice regarding reservations.

I am trying to reserve a seat from Vienna to Budapest for July 9th but paper ticket is the only option. How long does it take to receive a paper ticket if I am in Vienna?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am trying to reserve a seat from Vienna to Budapest for July 9th but paper ticket is the only option. How long does it take to receive a paper ticket if I am in Vienna?

The delivery time for paper reservations and paper passes from Interrail/Eurail is about 2 months so that reservation is not possible.

If you make a new topic and give your exact travel details ( departure date, time and route) you will get advice how to make the reservation.

Hello again! My travel plan goes like this:

• Paris > Gent (04/08/2022)
  • Gent > Amsterdam (06/08/2022)
  • Amsterdam > Dusseldorf (10/08/2022)
  • Dusseldorf > Luxembourg (11/08/2022)
  • Luxembourg > Strasbourg (12/08/2022)
  • Strasbourg > Milano (14/08/2022)
  • Milano > Florence (15/08/2022)
  • Florence > Ancona (18/08/2022)

Maybe I’ll skip Luxembourg but I’m not sure yet. My main concern is the train from Strasbourg to Milano, it’s the biggest route… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello again! My travel plan goes like this:

• Paris > Gent (04/08/2022)
  • Gent > Amsterdam (06/08/2022)
  • Amsterdam > Dusseldorf (10/08/2022)
  • Dusseldorf > Luxembourg (11/08/2022)
  • Luxembourg > Strasbourg (12/08/2022)
  • Strasbourg > Milano (14/08/2022)
  • Milano > Florence (15/08/2022)
  • Florence > Ancona (18/08/2022)

Maybe I’ll skip Luxembourg but I’m not sure yet. My main concern is the train from Strasbourg to Milano, it’s the biggest route… 

Please make a new topic with this information.