Solved

Train from Florence to Zagreb

• 18 May 2023
  • 5 replies

We are planning our first interrail trip trough Europe for this summer and have already booked some trains, but then stumbled upon a problem. We want to travel from Florence to Zagreb on the 12th and 13th of August (2023) and the railplanner app gives us a suitable journey where we take two Euro-night trains: one from Bologna to Villach hbf and one from Villach to our destination Zagreb, but it doesn't seem possible to make seat reservation for those trains. Are we to late? We have also tried different websites, but it does not seem to work or take seat reservations. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, any other train connection from Florence to Zagreb or do we have to alter our journey?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 18 May 2023, 14:11

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Use tickets.oebb.at : add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. It should work.

This website (Austrian Railways) works for many countries incl. Austria, Germany, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary,… Night trains are very popular so do not wait to book yes.

It is recommended to avoid interrail.eu/eurail.com because they add extra fees and can't book all trains. General advice :

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

Do you really want to take the night route with a long stop in Villach ? There are also 2 cheaper daytime options but it takes all day.

Thank you very much for your reply. We have considered the daytime options, but fancy a little bit more time in Florence, so we booked the night trains. However it seems that the night train from Villach to Zagreb (6:25-10:39) is not (yet) bookable or fully booked. It says “Tickets not available”. Will that train be bookable or should we go with a train later on that day? Your answer is highly appreciated, thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, the nighttrain EN from Stuttgart via Villach to Zagreb should be possible to use it also without reservation in thr seat carriage on that time of the day in Austria and Slovenia (it is in the morning). I would suggest to ask directly ÖBB Customer Service or ÖBB Social Media Team.

@rvdborgt Am I wrong or is there no compulsory reservation for seats in nighttrains in Austria and Slovenia?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I believe they add carriages in Villach so seat reservations are not needed (or not even possible).

But I can't find the vagonweb page which showed that...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt Am I wrong or is there no compulsory reservation for seats in nighttrains in Austria and Slovenia?

Within Austria there are no mandatory reservations as far as I know. Sometimes even extra carriages are added, e.g. between Budapest and Salzburg.

In Slovenia and Croatia some of the night trains from Austria don't have mandatory reservations either. Stuttgart - Zagreb only seems to have mandatory reservations until Salzburg.