Solved

Very short transfer time in Zuerich- can it be done?

I will be traveling from Paris to Rome in September with my three young children and partner. We have several stops along the way: Paris- Strasbourg- Basel- Zurich- Milan- Rome. All have short times between trains, but in Zurich, we only have 7 minutes! We are coming into Zurich from Basel on the IC 571 and need to catch the EC 329 to Milan. Is this possible? How do I find out where each platform is, etc? 

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 20 May 2022, 19:55

View original

7 replies

Badge

Disclaimer: I’ve never travelled that route..

but I’d say: Don’t do this to yourself. The slightest train delay and you’re stuck, you might also get lost on the station or require a little extra time to find the next train… I’d plan for more time :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you are familiar with the station 7 minutes are ok for the transfer if you walk quickly, but in your case I would recommend a longer transfer. 

There are many connections from Basel/Zürich to Milan every day. From where do you start you journey the day you will travel to Milan?

If you are familiar with the station 7 minutes are ok for the transfer if you walk quickly, but in your case I would recommend a longer transfer. 

There are many connections from Basel/Zürich to Milan every day. From where do you start you journey the day you will travel to Milan?

We are traveling from Paris on 17th of September (Saturday), with our final destination being Rome. And it seems like every rout has at least one extraordinarily short connection time. And this will be our first time in Europe and traveling by train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We are traveling from Paris on 17th of September (Saturday), with our final destination being Rome. And it seems like every rout has at least one extraordinarily short connection time. And this will be our first time in Europe and traveling by train.

Where have you been looking up the timetable? What time are you planning to leave Paris?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It looks like some trains are missing from the timetable around that date. The would be more relaxed journeys possible, e.g. via Genève, but it seems all EC trains via Brig (Switzerland) end at Domodossola, instead of continuing to Milan. @Angelo, do you know if there are any engineering works planned or is this just Trenitalia who are not sure about their timetables yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You CAN cut off valuable time by taking a shorter route=1 change more. A quick look on a decent map-Swiss has them by the load- might help. OR break these planners up in segments.

Via Z is a real detour-the direct route is Basel-Luzern-Arth Goldau, but you will have to check where this train from Z calls.

Also you did not say if you have booked already-its also faster to do P-MULHOuse-then on to Basel, with same local that comes from but not via Strasbg.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It looks like some trains are missing from the timetable around that date. The would be more relaxed journeys possible, e.g. via Genève, but it seems all EC trains via Brig (Switzerland) end at Domodossola, instead of continuing to Milan. @Angelo, do you know if there are any engineering works planned or is this just Trenitalia who are not sure about their timetables yet?

Hi, thanks for tagging @rvdborgt 

I search a bit, and find out that this trains are in the timetable back in October. This looks like engineering works, because some Trenord regional trains have a replacement bus instead, but not all. But I’m not sure.