Solved

Basel-Zurich

• 18 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I see the question I was about to ask was answered a year ago here.

We need to get between the 2 cities on Saturday 29th April and it seems like a TGV with a cafe might be a better bet than a regular (if comfortable and functional) Swiss train between the 2.  Even if it’s only to get a cup of coffee in Switzerland at French prices.

I thought that not-sitting in a TGV was a non-runner as a general principle - do they really let everyone on (a TGV) in Switzerland regardless of space?

Alternatively, does anyone know of other trains between the two cities that are different than the regular SBB trains?  Yes, I’m a train nerd.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 18 April 2023, 22:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes you can freely take TGVs between Basel and Zurich. However they can be a bit more crowded than regular Swiss trains. TGV restaurant cars do not have seats but you can always buy your coffee there if you’d like. So the trains that you could take :

• ICN or RABDe 500 tilting trains (at 10:06 for example per SBB app). They’re quite usual SBB trains I know but still
  • ICE trains from Germany (from Basel Bad Bf though due to engineering works at Basel SBB) : 08:40, 14:48, 16:48, 18:48, 20:48
  • the famous EC with a 1st class panorama carriage (or standard 2nd class SBB carriages) at 15:39 (from Basel Bad Bf)

Of course trains coming from Germany might be delayed. Always check SBB app :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Yes you can freely take TGVs between Basel and Zurich. However they can be a bit more crowded than regular Swiss trains. TGV restaurant cars do not have seats but you can always buy your coffee there if you’d like. So the trains that you could take :

• ICN or RABDe 500 tilting trains (at 10:06 for example per SBB app). They’re quite usual SBB trains I know but still
  • ICE trains from Germany (from Basel Bad Bf though due to engineering works at Basel SBB) : 08:40, 14:48, 16:48, 18:48, 20:48
  • the famous EC with a 1st class panorama carriage (or standard 2nd class SBB carriages) at 15:39 (from Basel Bad Bf)

Of course trains coming from Germany might be delayed. Always check SBB app :)

Thanks for those recommendations.  I think the EC may well be the one to go for - it suits timewise as well as being a bit of something different.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes I happened to travel in one such panorama carriage unexpectedly once and it was great :)

It’s coach 263 btw and no need to book anything like all Swiss trains (currently there are 44 available seats out of 54 so don’t worry). The restaurant carriage is literally one carriage away

To get to Basel Bad Bf, either the ICE at 15:13 from Basel SBB or more easily a tram or a bus

Enjoy your Swiss trip and don’t hesitate to ask questions

Pictures here : https://www.seat61.com/places-of-interest/rails-down-the-rhine.htm#panorama