Solved

Trenord Tirano to Milan July 2024 - Possible closure?

OK, so next issue I see travelling from Tirano to Milan weekend of 19/07/2024 - I go to book Trenord for train from Tirano to Milan morning of the 20th July - cannot see any train schedule. Train schedule stops 08/07/2024.

I check https://valtellinamobile.it/lavori-ferrovia-milano-tirano/ for disruptions etc and it translates to the below:

The dates of the train block in 2024 and 2025 on the Lecco – Tirano line

LECCO – TIRANO and COLICO – SONDRIO – TIRANO

Preparatory works for the 2026 Olympics 9 June 2024 – 8 September 2024 (90 day line interruption.

LECCO – TIRANO and LECCO – COLICO

Preparatory works for the 2026 Olympics June 2025 – September 2025 (90 day line interruption).

Does this mean that line from Tirano to Milan on Trenord will not be running?

Will it be diverted to a different route?

Help appreciated - did not expect to strike issues in Switzerland over this time but I guess everything is geared for winter season perhaps? (hence Olympics?)

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 10 April 2024, 10:06

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It's a line in Italy. ;)

These are (much needed) upgrading works for the Winter Olympics in the Italian Alps.

There is more traffic in summer for sure but works have to happen at that point (too cold for concrete in winter, etc.)…

If the works take place trains might terminate in Sondrio or Colico and then be replaced by bus for the remaining part. Expect a 15-30 min longer journey. It will definitely be possible to travel between Tirano and Milan, don't worry.

We'll know more in a few weeks. Trenord/RFI are rarely in a rush to give updates.

Thanks thibcabe - yes should have realised we are on the other side of the hill in Tirano!!

And yes of course Italian line - not sure what I expected!! haha

If I gave ourselves the whole morning to get to Milan we should be OK aye?

Wonder if any benefit trying to go through Brescia?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it will be fine, don't worry. I'd expect a 30 min longer journey but more would be surprising.

Not much sense to go via Brescia imo, the Tirano - Edolo bus doesn't run often and it wouldn't be included.

Hi, I came across your post while looking for answers about why the train service between Tirano and Milan changes starting June 9, from a 2.5 hr train to a 6 hr bus and train combo. If you haven't already, I suggest checking the Trenord website to see if that 6 hr option works for you. Your travel date, July 20, is posted now. I don’t have experience with Trenord, so I don’t know if they will add a better option in the meantime, maybe others can speak to that.

Emily

Hi, I came across your post while looking for answers about why the train service between Tirano and Milan changes starting June 9, from a 2.5 hr train to a 6 hr bus and train combo. If you haven't already, I suggest checking the Trenord website to see if that 6 hr option works for you. Your travel date, July 20, is posted now. I don’t have experience with Trenord, so I don’t know if they will add a better option in the meantime, maybe others can speak to that.

Emily

The train / bus combo has almost the same travel time as the train. Depending on connection it's just 17 to 39 minutes longer (in direction Tirano the bus has even been much faster then scheduled last time). Nothing to worry about. 6 hours is completely wrong.

Thanks Hektor. I'll check back on the Trenord site as it gets closer, but it said 6 hrs as of today. There was one connection wait time of over 2 hours and another of about 45 minutes, and there were no depatlrtures listed after about 14:30. I don't want to completely disregard the Trenord site, but your response makes me hopeful that it will be different when I check again later. Thanks!

Thanks Hektor. I'll check back on the Trenord site as it gets closer, but it said 6 hrs as of today. There was one connection wait time of over 2 hours and another of about 45 minutes, and there were no depatlrtures listed after about 14:30. I don't want to completely disregard the Trenord site, but your response makes me hopeful that it will be different when I check again later. Thanks!

Don't know when and what direction you'd like to go but here is a timetable for July 2nd direction Tirano to Milano (just to get an idea):

Thanks! I am actually traveling June 9, but the OP is traveling in July. When I put June 9 into Trenitalia's site, I see the schedule you posted, thanks. I hadn't looked outside of Trenord. I need it for the mid-afternoon, and the last departure I see for that 3 hr schedule on the Trenitalia site is 12:29. I'm confused why the Trenord site and the Trenitalia site show different options for June 9. So, I guess I have some more digging to do.

Thanks! I am actually traveling June 9, but the OP is traveling in July. When I put June 9 into Trenitalia's site, I see the schedule you posted, thanks. I hadn't looked outside of Trenord. I need it for the mid-afternoon, and the last departure I see for that 3 hr schedule on the Trenitalia site is 12:29. I'm confused why the Trenord site and the Trenitalia site show different options for June 9. So, I guess I have some more digging to do.

That's just because there isn't the whole timetable published yet. Have a look at the timetable one week earlier and expect the fast services depart 18 minutes earlier in Tirano and the slow services depart 39 minutes earlier. This isn't guaranteed information but I guess it will look like this.

Thanks!